Monday, February 18, 2013

What's Changed at James D. Julia Auctions?

Tuesday, February 19, 2013


What's Changed at James D. Julia Auctions?

     As you know, I've been searching out permissions to write about large-scale die cast "models", and even ventured into 3D printing.  However, you have to send out 10 e-mail requests and be lucky to have someone reply, or give their permissions.

     So what I did  at the end of last week, and for today is to return to my trustworthy and kind auctioneer houses who've given me their permission to use their fine toys, and of course their quality photography. James D. Julia Auctions is the 4th in the series.  Currently, their representatives are looking for consignments, and their last auction was on November 30, 2012. 

     I decided to check the last auction, and once again I was pleasantly surprised. First, there were interesting items that old, and I only looked at page 1. Secondly, the size of the images had increased to a very good size to see all of the details. Thirdly,you can even magnify the larger magnification. And finally, they have incorporated the relatively new 360 degree software. That software allows you to take a dozen or so images of an item as it rotates on a special rotating platform. You then use the software to run a well-paced rotation to see all of the different angles and sides of a toy. If I have time this week, I'll try and screen capture the 12 images, but it's best to look firsthand at this technology.

I even have a larger-sized Logo to add to this blog!

(Please click on the above address to be redirected to the James D. Julia site)

 I've seen the Arcade cast iron taxis in the pull-toy version, but never as a bank!


A very nice pair of toys that originally were together.
I've seen the brand name Ives, but never wrote about them.


A very nice toy. Please read the description, as the mechanical movement 
of the ticket-taker is most interesting.


Here's an exceptionally beautiful  Kilgore airplane with a large wingspan.


I'll have to research out the name of Hessman. 
This is a "first" for me to have seen this particular brand.


The Ives toy above is an exceptional toy in a superb condition, albeit the crack to the side of the boy's head. This toy garnered a very high price for its rarity!


Another very old set of toys in outstanding condition.
You certainly can see how the larger-sized images present the fine-details of the toys.

Don't forget, that you can magnify the images even more in Google Blogger!


I've presented a few Boucher boats,but this one is beautifully crafted and designed for its time!


Another  interesting toy attributed to Altholf  Bergmann. 
Notice that I used a screen capture to grab an enlarged image of the whole item.
 What's also noteworthy with most auctioneers, especially the more renowned and reputable ones, is that they do their homework. I would never have come across the name "Altholf Bergmann" if this particular toy came into my possession!

Last but not least, is this set of 9 pins from Ives Blakeslee. 
Of course, I'll have to research this to find out if this name is different from the Ives that I've seen before. Once again, I've presented a large image,and a magnified screen-capture. When you look at the images in Google Blogger, you will see the small detail very easily. In this case the lithographed images of the faces are remarkable for their detail and "character"

One final note. I especially like the subtle watermark  placed on each image with the name of the auctioneer - James D. Julia. It's not offensive in any way, but reminds the viewer that the images are in fact copyrighted. I've thought of doing this for images that I have permission to use.  The larger font appears better without the  pixilation effect around the lettering, even when you "rasterize" the text in Photoshop. Pixilation is simply that hazy and blurred effect around the writing.


Thanks as always for dropping by for a visit.

Have a nice part of the day wherever you may be.
Stacey




No comments: