Sunday, January 28, 2018

You Haven't Seen These Before on My Blog!

Sunday, January 27, 2018
Sunny
+3 C  37.4 F

You Haven't Seen These
Before on my Blog!


As I write this post, this auction by Morphy Auctions is going on. The  auction
is for arcade games (pinball games). I'm writing brief descriptions because these 
machines were complex for the times, and the well-written explanations can be found on Liveauctioneers. For this post, I've included the lot numbers for reference should you want more information on Liveauctioneers.

I remember in the 1950's when my parents would take us to Belmont Park in Montreal. 
Belmont park was an amusement park with all kinds of rides and an area with lots  of arcade machines (Pinball machines). It was fun to play, but it would have taken 
lots of 5 cent pieces (a nickel) to become skilled at the game.

What's interesting to note with the descriptions below is that these machines in 1934 
and later also cost 5 cents!  That was a lot of money then, and "treating" a child to one of these games was a real delight.

LOT 0016
Western Equipment and Supply Company Centre Smash
College football themed pinball game
One nickel gives 1 ball. Patron plunges the ball into one of nine
slots for odds between 10-200. There are 7 college teams. Ball must land
in one of the skill holes as shown on the light display
Dimensions"  56" Tall x 28 1/2" Wide x 46 1/2" Depth ( 142.2 cm x 72.5 cm x118.2 cm)
Circa 1936

Lot 0046
5 cent Jennings Sportsman Pinball Machine Cabinet
Points are obtained when a ball falls into one of the numerous holes on the board.
Dimensions: 42 1/2" x 22" W x 38 1/2" D  108 cm x 56 cm x 98 cm
Circa 1934 

Lot 0197
Gottlieb's "The Mermaid"
Artwork by Roy Parker,  only 600 of these machines were manufactured.
Dimensions: 64" T x 25 1/2" W x 54" D  162.5 cm x 64.7 cm x 137.2 cm
Circa 1951

Venture over to Liveauctioneers to see the bids 
that were placed for these pinball machines.
You's be surprised how some people bid.
Obviously they're collectors and not players on these machine.
If I was a bidder, I'd bid on one to play with in my house!

* You may have noticed that I'm using less coloured letters than before. 
I asked my wife to look at my blog on her cell phone, and she said that the red lettering was difficult to see on her cell.

Thanks for dropping by,
and have a great part of the day or night.

Stacey Bindman
toysearcher@gmail.com






No comments: