Thursday, December 12, 2013

Pre-WWII Toy Airplanes - Part I

Thursday, December 12, 2013


Pre-WWII Toy Airplanes
(Part I)

  I had my eyes on some interesting toy airplanes earlier in the week, but I haven't received the go -ahead to use the photos. So I decided to use some of my most reliable and best resources - several  fine North American auctioneers. I decided to start with Morphy Auctions today, and continue tomorrow with Bertoia Auctions.  I always give exclusivity for each post to only 1 person, company or auctioneer, but I've never had a continuity of posts with 2 different auctioneers. Of course, I was able to find lots of fine toys from both. I was looking just for tin-made airplanes, but  ended up with other metals as well.







To find a model in such great condition with its original box is certainly rare, hence the price of the item at the final gavel hit at auction.


The item above is  a biscuit tin. Imagine that these beautiful tins were filled with biscuits and were given as an "incentive" to purchase the particular brand.


This was a most-interesting discovery. An airplane that came with a hanger, and an internal mechanism to propel the airplane forward.



This was also another "discovery" for me - an airplane that came with electric lights.





Both of the above airplanes (French and German) have similar characteristics. They both have key-wound movement mechanisms, and both would have come in 2 parts. The wings would fit into the top of the fuselage, and the then locked in place. You can see the small knobs on top of both airplanes.

I'm always amazed that you can find such nice old toys in.such great condition. Also, I probably could spend the entire year just writing about the fine auctioneers that have granted me their permission to use their photos and descriptions.

Fantastic!


Thanks for dropping by,
and have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be.
Stacey
toysearcher@gmail.com


No comments: