Thursday, December 5, 2013

A "Titanic" Story

Thursday, December 5, 2013


A "Titanic" Story

   Today's post starts off differently from my usual discovery. Last week, I opened up my e-mail and found a most-interesting letter. There was an ebay attachment offering for sale a large model of the Titanic. The model was "titanic" in size, and the e-mail was from a bookseller of old and antique books. Immediately, I went to see the photos,but I wanted to know the story behind the e-mail, as well as how the seller found me. 

   As it turned out, the storeowner name is lfmbooks. Mr. Josh LaCelle and his brother own the store, but the model came from their grandfather  He had purchased the model because of his great interest in the Titanic. He saw an advertisement from a man in Syracuse, New York (USA), and immediately contacted the man and purchased the model. and wouldn't  let the model go. Sadly, their grandfather passed away a few months ago. As for how Josh found me, it was a matter of looking for potential buyers and I came up. I was able to get permission from Josh to write this post, and Josh even provided me with a Flickr address to see even more photos than the ones accompanying the ebay listing.  There is a debate among people who have seen the model as to whether the model was built from the British Meccano kits or from the A.C.Gilbert kits.

   The model  dimensions (L  x W  x H) are 72"  x 10"  x 25"   or  1.83M  x  .254M  x  .610M and weight approximately 50 pounds or  2.27 Kg. It was built "from scratch" and even has inside lighting,so that when lit, the window portals glow form the inside.

    Of course, I checked out the lfmbooks bookstore and found many very old books. I posted 4 below for you to see.

lfmbooks





L.M Montgomery is better known in Canada as Lucy Maude Montgomery. She wrote another more famous book by the title of Anne of Green Gables that became a best seller about 15 years ago. There was also a fabulous TV series that lasted a while to, and was seen by many - a "rarer" canadian TV success.


Of course, if you've ever had to read a book for English and you're between 50-70, you undoubtedly
would have read The Catcher in the Rye.















Today's post is one that I like to write. It's a story together with lots of interesting material. There a lot more photos than the ones that I selected and photo-editied in Photoshop, so please visit Josh's Flickr photo album site.

Thanks for visiting,
and as always, have a great part
of the day or night,
wherever you may be.
Stacey
toysearcher@gmail.com






No comments: