Thursday, December 26, 2013

A Beautiful 1920's Structo Convertible

Thursday, December 26, 2013


A Beautiful 1920's Structo Convertible

    I hope everyone had a great Christmas and Holiday yesterday, and are either resting, or running out for those Boxing Day specials. I 've been relaxing (as if I don't do enough of that!), and taking care of my neighbour's pets,since she went for a vacation in Florida with her 2 young boys. I feed her fish, turn a light on her lizard, and feed her 3 cats and give them fresh water. Two of the cats are friendly while I've yet to ever see the third one. I've seen him just once-ever.

    I had a brief visit to ebay, did a search for antique toys,and saw today's beautiful toy - a beautiful Structo convertible. What caught my attention was the fact that the convertible top was leather, and it was still there after at least 90 years. Also, the wind-up mechanism was very-complicated looking and well made.

   What also caught my attention, as a photographer was that Mr.Bob Citero knows how to use his built-in camera flash to add light into the shadows of his photos. On a bright sunny day, the contrast is too much for even a digital camera to handle. So what you can do is use a white cardboard reflector, a commercially available fold down silver reflector, or use the camera flash. What all three do is to add light into the shadow areas. As a result, you have more detail in the dark (shadow) areas), less contrast, and a better overall exposure. The important thing is to add just the correct amount of light. Too little and the shadow detail will be lost. Too much, and the effect of a sunny day will be lost when you add too much light to the shadows. All you have to do , is run a test. get the correct exposure just with the camera. Then pop up the flash, and run a series of tests as you adjust the flash exposure to -1, - 1/2, normal, + 1/2, and +1 flash exposure. One of those exposures will be just right.


Andy'sAntiquesCollectibles&Toys
(Bob Citero's ebay store name)


I had used the above technique with a fine Dutch toy seller,and decided to use it today. All I do is select the non-car parts of the photo, then remove the saturation (colour). I was going to go with my white background, but decided with this style. In this way, I could let Bob's excellent handling of his camera illustrate how the flash added just enough light into the shadow areas to allow you (the viewer) to see good detail there.



If you look carefully at the photo above, notice that there are 2 shadows. Behind the wheel on the right side of the photo is a very dark and distinct shadow, and a light and softer larger one.
Since there are 2 shadows, there has to be 2 light sources!

 I sent Bob an e-mail to say that his post was posted and that would he please proofread to see if anything needed correction or change. I also complimented him on his fine photography,both in the focus and the use of flash-fill. It's great to see sellers who make the extra efford to takequality photos.


If you look carefully behind the convertible top resting on the red part of the car, 
there again are 2 shadows.

 2 shadows once more.

There must have been a rear-mounted spare tire on the back of the  toy.
That's what that hole was for - to use a screw nut and bolt to fasten the tire.


That lever to the right of the steering wheel must be an on/off switch.

The large butterfly nut must be the wind-up mechanism.

You just got to love that leather convertible top!
90 years "young" and it's still there! 

A slightly different view of the convertible top.

Wow - look at the complexity of this wind-up mechanism. 
I've always been amazed at European early 20th century wind-up mechanisms, but this Structo easily is on the same skill and design level as any European toy of that era!
And don't forget that this toy is 16"  (40.7cm) long


This is what I would have wanted in 1920 for my Christmas present.

Maybe someone on ebay is having a Boxing Day special (in my dreams!).



Thanks for dropping by,

and have a great day,
wherever you may be.
Stacey
toysearcher@gmail.com



No comments: