Tuesday, November 6, 2012

Bertoia Auctions

Tuesday, November 6, 2012


Bertoia Auctions

(please press on the address above to visit the Bertoia Auction Website)


     It's a beautiful sunny day here in Montreal,and it was made even sunnier, metaphorically speaking (for myself) by having been given permission to use the exceptional photography and photographs of  Bertoia Auctions

     If you like old toys, and want to see very rare and exceptional toys, then have a look at the Bertoia Auctions website or the Liveauctioneers site at  www.liveauctioneers.com

     About 8 months ago, I discovered Bertoia Auctions. I finally sent a few e-mails, and then decided to phone them. I was given the "OK" to be able to use their fine work. The company is owned by Jeanne Bertoia, and her brother-in-law and son are part of the company. All 3 are well-eudcated toy auctioneers, and both Jeanne Bertoia and Rich  Bertoia (her brother-in-law)  have written books on different toy subjects. Michael Bertoia is Jeanne's son, and he is using modern-day Internet technology and graphic-design skills to display both the website and the toys that have been sold or are for sale. He also travels to Europe and throughout the US to promote the Company.
(Paraphrased from the Bertoia Auction Website)

     Bertoia Auctions is well regarded in the toy auction community, and have represented famous toy collectors through their auctions.  The next upcoming auction is the Dick Claus collection of superb  antique boats and ships. That auction will take place on November 10, 2012.

    What I always like from a toy site (individual, auction house, seller, or blog) is some information that can inform the reader about the toys being viewed. Bertoia certainly does that. That helps, when  I hope in the future to write about  toy companies along with the toys that they produced.The Bertoia descriptions will help me track down companies that I never heard of before.


The Top Portion of the Bertoia Website


 A Sample of the well-designed website.
Information and classes of different toys can be viewed.





Some of the Toys from the Dick Claus Auction are Presented Below






I only captured 1 image from this auction listing.
What I like is the mechanics of the toy.
 I assume that tires rotate a gear mechanism that turns a rubber band on either side under the wing.
The 2 rubber bands in turn, turn the 2 propellers - fantastic!




Most of us grew up with Superman, Green Arrow, Green Lantern, and a few other superheroes.

This is the first  Superman toy that I've seen.

I remember watching the Superman series on a B & W (Black and White) TV in the 1950's
At that time we could pick up 2 American channels just with a TV antenna. Of course there were only American TV stations near Montreal at the time!

For trivia fans, that building that you used to see Superman jumping over at the beginning of the show is a Montreal building!




And last. but not least is this Arcade bus.
I've seen several Arcade busses, but never this double-decker.


I would once again like to thank all of the people at Bertoia Auctions for letting me use their fine photos.

And as usual, thanks for all of you who drop by to read what I write.

And last but not least, have a great part of the day, wherever you may be.

One of my favourite toy types happens to be mechanical toys.
I've bought and sold a few of those Doepke Sand Movers, but this Vindex toy is super!
Stacey


2 comments:

Troy said...

My only complaint with online actions, is that it is rigged so that you cannot win if you are not present. I have bid on a few items, and assumed that I have won, only to find out that ties go to the person who is at that auction.

toysearcher said...


Hi Troy,

Thanks for having visited my blog.
I have no personal experience with online auctions, except for E-Bay.
I'll speak about that later.

However, I would think that except for your comment, I would hope that these online auction houses have to maintain a higher standard. Otherwise both those present, and those bidding on line will not trust the system.

I've only ever seen on-line bidding when you see movies or clips of those 8 figure painting selling. There are always on-line bidders, and I guess they have the money to stay the course.
But in those cases, there are auctioneer employees directly on the phone with the on the phone bidders.

Coming back to E-Bay, I can't tell you how many times I've bid at the last moment only to lose out.
Supposedly there are specialized softwares that bid instantaneously and always will outbid the human touch.

I had read that E-Bay frowns on this, but I doubt if they ban it.
They're key purpose is to make money, and the higher the bidding, the more they make!

Thanks again for your comments,

Stacey