Friday, July 11, 2014

More of those Toosietoys based on the famous Mack truck

Friday, July 11, 2014
    Sunny, some cloud, and 
    comfortable temperature


More of those Tootsietoys Based on
the Famous Mack Truck

  I though that I'd continue with the Mack  Tootsietoy trucks from yesterday. The original Mack trucks not only had great looks,but they were built to work hard and last. I wanted to include a real truck as an example, so I scoured the web, and found a great-looking truck in Alaska.  It was located at Fountainhead Antique Auto Museum in Fairbanks Alaska (USA).  I wrote to Nancy DeWitt, the historian of the Museum, and I received her permission. As I looked further into the Fountain Antique Auto Museum , I found that Nancy also writes a most interesting blog. about the fine antique cars that the Museum has.  Nancy has accompanied the nice photos with lots of information about the history of these cars, and I will try to find toys to match up with some obese fantastic new discoveries.


The logo of the Fountainhead museum includes a 
1933 Auburn Model 12-161A Custom Boattail Speedster

When you visit the website, you have to take a  look at this particular car, as well as the many others. They are exceptional "keepsakes" from a famous era of American and automotive history.

Of course, since, below is their fantastic Mack truck.


 The AB, introduced in 1914 as a replacement for the Mack Junior, was Mack's first standardized, high-volume model series. It was offered in 1-, 1 1/2- and 2-ton forms. Over 51,600 ABs were produced between 1914 and 1936.


The AB was powered by a 30-HP, 4-cylinder engine with pair-cast cylinders. It originally came with a three-speed transmission and had a worm-driven rear axle; in 1915 chain drive was offered as an alternative. Top speed was around 15 MPH.*
* Description Courtesy of Nancy DeWitt


 I removed the background and replaced it with white, but I decided to leave the concrete floor
to compliment this old, but fine workhorse.This type of truck is called  "C Cab Stake Truck".I'm assuming that the letter "C" comes from the c-shaped sides and doors. You can see those famous sharklike gill vents on the side of the truck's hood. Also look at the  wood stakes of the back of the truck, and I think wood wheels in the front. But what's really interesting are the solid rubber tires in the front and back of this truck!

Update:

I received the above 2 exterior photos of the 1916 Mack truck in the afternoon - the same day that I posted earlier in the day.  Nancy had mentioned that she would send me more photos as the truck was not outdoors for, I assume the summertime.

Thanks Nancy, and what service! 


   The toys below have a slanted front grill and the large-sized "M" for Mack.  Also they have a middle frame down the middle of the windshield, whereas the truck above doesn't. I might be off in terms of trying to match the toy with the truck, so I'll ask you, my readers and of course Nancy DeWitt if she might help me out.

My toys source for today is again the fine auctioneer - Lloyd Ralston Galleries.


These 4 trucks are from yesterday's post.
They are earlier models, and do not have the slotted (shark-gilled) openings on each side 
of the hood. As well, they don't have a windshield!






I didn't add the dimensions because they weren't written about 3"-4" (  76 mm - 101 mm) 
with the longer  attached ones about 10" - 12"  ( 254mm - 304 mm).







The Mack truck became a huge success for its durability and reliability, and helped to develop the USA then and now. The company was purchased by Volvo AB in  2000, and continues to be a strong competitor in the US Marketplace.

Thanks for visiting,
and as always,
have a great part of the day our night,
wherever you may be,
Stacey.
toysearcher@gmail.com


No comments: