Thursday, January 16, 2014

A New American Toy Company Discovery

Friday, January 11,2014


A New American Toy Company Discovery


   I like to revisit people, auctioneers,sellers and collectors who have helped me with my blog. I already (thank you) have their permission, and  I've selected them because they have excellent reputations, great descriptions of the toys, and nice photography. 

  So for today's post, I decided to revisit Toys of Times Past. This is a very fine store that sells nice toys and usually has a nice collection up for sale.  I saw today's interesting toy, and naturally decided to investigate  further.  The toy was made by the McDowell Mfg. Co. (MAC) that was located in Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA and  is called  Loop The Loop.

Quoting Toys of times Past:

"Scarce, Original, Antique 1930's McDowell Mfg Co (MAC) Loop the Loop Mechanical Tin Wind Up Stunt Track Toy in the Original Box. McDowell produced only a few toys and they are difficult to find and highly desireable. This toy is all original, complete including car and in excellent condition. When wound and started, the track sways back and forth causing the car to perform a loop-a-loop ride from one side of the track to the other end, continuously repeating the action. Click on the following link to watch this toy on my Youtube channel. Video Clip  Features all tin construction, stunt car and two removable track sections. The toy measures 24" wide. The hand car is 2" long. The original illustrated box is in excellent condition as pictured. The box top features an illustration of the toy and displays wonderfully."


What's also great about the  Toys of Times Past website is that many of the wind-up toys have short videos on Youtube. You can click on the link on the Toys of Times Past page, and it will take you to Youtube, where you'll see how the toy actually works.

Here's the link to Youtube:



 











Many toy collectors like to buy items with their original boxes. This elevates the value of the item.
For myself, just the fact that the box has survived so many years intact (almost 93 years) is astounding for me. I never kept my fox boxes unless they had hundreds of pieces to them,in which case I had no other choice.Of course, by the time I was 13, and  we moved to a new home, all of my toys had "mysteriously" disappeared. They were probably given my my mother or grandmother to the Salvation Army for some other children to play with. By that time, I was off to grade 9 in high school. That's how we counted the years in high school, compared with the term sophomore in the USA. Toy by then were out of my life.


Thanks for dropping by,
and have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be.
Stacey
toysearcher@gmail.com

No comments: