Thursday, October 17, 2013

Ida and Earnest Long - Their Fabulous Dictionaries

Thursday, October 17, 2013


Ida and Earnest Long
Their Fabulous Dictionaries

    It's not that long ago, but I can't remember where I purchase the 2 volumes of Dictionary of Toys Sold in America. However, 2 days ago a reader had sent me some photos of an old toy to research, and I had completely forgotten to research it in these exceptional 2 booklets. I did find a sketch of the model that I was looking for, but that's for another day, on another post. I don't thing this couple are still alive, since I did a search for them on a website of the town where they lived - Mokelumne Hill, California (USA).  That's sad, because these 2 booklets are a definite must for anyone who collects or need to research old American toys from before 1950.

   I did write to the Mokelumne website and asked them to either send a copy of my e-mai lto the Longs, or to forward it to any of their sons or daughters. I always ask for permission to present any photos or scans of material that I work with. I've added these pages today, but the size and resolution is low because I don't have their permission. So quality for anyone to copy and use will be weak.


Ida and Earnest Long
Mokelumne Hill, California 
(USA)















  If the Longs or their  relatives are still alive, I would hope that they would make reprints of these 2 exceptional volumes. I know that when I purchase reference reproductuon catalogues, they only have 1 company's toys for a certain period of time. What's most interesting about the Longs catalogues is  that the toys are all hand-drawn illustrations. I'd love to have some of the original sketches of the catalogue. I can;t even imagine all of the work that was needed to compile such volumes - hence the title including the word dictionary.

   Some of you might have noticed that I didn't have much to say. In today's post about the 2 catalogues, the old expression "A picture is worth a thousand words" is most aptly applied here. These sample pages and their sketches "speak volumes". I just hope that I'll hear from the Longs or their children, since this would most certainly be a great story to write about.

Thanks for dropping by
and have a great part of the day, 
wherever you may be.
Stacey
Write to me anytime at toysearcher@gmail.com




No comments: