Monday, October 28, 2013

Bing Early 1910's Navy Ships

Tuesday, October 29, 2013


Bing's Early 1910's Navy Ships

   About a week ago, I received a  reproduced copy of "The 1912 Bing Toy Catalogue". The publisher is New Cavendish Books of London, England. The date  of the copyright is 2001, so I assume that they aren't printing these lately. You can find them on the Net, and if you like old toys, the book is great, especially the "scientific toys" found at the end of the book. These toys are related to such things as motors and wireless telegraphy.  

   I'll be writing several posts about the German toy boats, and decided to start off with the Bing ships. They're no as high-priced on the auction scene as the Marklin ships, but nevertheless,they are highly priced and do fetch great prices. As far as the 1912 catalogue goes, the boat section is 13 pages, including parts and motors.  For today's post, I decided to include page scans of the  New Cavendish Books book. However, some of the actual toys, do not quite match up with the scans of the catalogue. One reason could be that the toys were made earlier or later than the 1912 catalogue, Another reason is that  I used the toy images from Bertoia Auctions, an internationally renowned American auctioneer of antique toys. Some of the toys were sold in the US, through Bing's USA offices and showrooms, and were made differently for the American market.



























It took a bit of time to match up the photos with the catalogue scans. I guess I wouldn't have made a good spotter in the navy on the open seas. The ships look very similar to me, and I would have had trouble spotting a destroyer from a cruiser at 2 miles (3.21 Kilometres). Of course, at that distance, I would be so scared, I would probably be more accurate in my sightings!

Thanks for dropping by,
and as always,have a great part of the day,
wherever you may be.
Stacey
write to me anytime at:
toysearcher@gmail.com









No comments: