Friday, November 8, 2013

Grand Old Toys - A Great Seller and Resource

Friday, November 8, 2013


Grand Old Toys
(A Great Seller and Resource)

   I had visited this fine website and seller many times on the Net, yet never had written to ask if I could write about the site. Maybe I did, but I can't remember. Anyway, as things sometimes happen, I received an e-mail inviting me to visit the site.  I knew immediately that I had visited the site since Mr. Danny Kubert's logo is most distinct and easily remembered and recognized. I e-mailed Mr. Kubert, and waited for a reply. I then decided to phone, left a message, waited and phoned again, and left a message. I thought to myself that I'll work on my next several blogs, and wait to here. Sure enough I  did, but not via e-mail. I was watching some TV movie in the den, when my wife  in the bedroom upstairs (watching her favourite American singing competition - The X Factor), shouts to me that someone is on the telephone for me.  I picked up the phone, and Danny Kubert is on the line. He tells me who he is, that I e-mailed him, I phoned him and left messages, and I still don't know who I'm talking to. I sometimes have my brain "up in the sky". Then Danny tells me he's the owner of Grand Old Toys and presto I know!

   We talked for a long time, and I mention in my conversation  that there are 2 subjects that I haven't yet written. I'm sure there are 1000's. One is old toys depicting Black People (Not just African Americans but all Black People) in a very negative manner, as well as the name of the toys. I have been thinking about this for the longest time, and have to be able to write well without affecting any seller whose toys I might be using. I'm sure the topic is easier than I am thinking, and since I write  about toys, my narrative will not reflect on the seller, and I'm sure most sellers would give me the OK. 

  The second subject is Japanese Robots. I haven't  written about them because I feel, that for such new toys (usually 1950's-1960's) they are very expensive. Also, I find they are all very similar in function and design. I also mentioned to Danny, that perhaps it's a Japan collection fad. I remember in the early 2000's where Japanese were buying old American jeans for $ 15,000.00 and they weren't even worn or owned by Mr. Levi Strauss himself! I didn't say that to Danny, but did mention "the fad".

    Wouldn't you know? Danny tells me that he sells these Japanese robots. I could feel my face heating up and turning 10 shades of red, even though I was on the phone. Danny was of course very diplomatic,  and didn't mention anything. He also told me that he sells on ebay as well as selling through his website. He sells through ebay auctions every other, or every 3rd Sunday evening at 8pm, 9pm, and 11pm.  We ended our conversation, and I thanked Danny for his permission to write about him and his website. Afterwards, I visited his website, and ebay, and found many Japanese Robots. I later apologized to Danny, and wrote that  I knew what my next blog would be of course - Japanese Robots!

   I mentioned to Danny how I like to improve photos, and place them against a white background. 
Danny has done this , and thus had saved me lots of time. I did do some minor improvements, but left the "outer glow" (Photoshop) out. His photography is excellent, but his descriptions are super. As a seller, he makes sure to not only inform the potential seller about the toy itself, but mentions lots of detail, and especially any minor scratch or tear to a box. He also mentioned in the conversation that he prefers to purchase toys in as good a condition as he can find.You'll see that in  the toys that I have presented on this post. 





Please click here to see what Danny Kubert is currently selling on ebay



I decided to present  a typical description of a toy that Danny will sell. Below is the description verbatim (copied and pasted exactly).

Although similar in function to several American built "over-under" toys this "Over The Top" toy is unique. It was manufactured in pre-war Germany by Distler under the name Ess Dee. I've found only one other example of this toy a couple years ago and couldn't identify the manufacturer. I don't know why Distler used the name other than a possible subsidiary like Marx is to Linemar. Much thanks to the "toy guy" that helped me identify it. 
The toy itself is in incredible condition (NM-) and barely looks like it was played with. It comes complete with its original which is also in fantastic condition (EXC+).
Unlike similar U.S. toys, the 'Over The Top' is primarily steel litho, not tin. Only the car body is tin. It uses a rugged, triple gear, flywheel driven clockwork motor with attached key. The toy consists of girder enclosed "start gate" with twin rotating arms, plus three connecting track pieces. It also includes a No. 3 motor car which is the largest (2½" x 1" x 1¼" and most realistic of any 'over-under' toy I've seen).
The toy was colorfully lithoed in bright yellow, green and red. The car is red with black and white trim, and yellow wheels. The ESS DEE trademark was lithoed onto the trunk. It even has a small windshield. A white bracket arm extends from each side of the vehicle. 
It operates similarly to other 'over-under' toys. That is, a pair of rotating support arms lift the vehicle using the white brackets on its side. This raises the car from the lower to upper track. The vehicle is released and gravity takes over. It runs across the upper see-saw track, tilts onto the lower lever where it rolls back into the starting gate. The cycle then repeats. 
The two piece box is made from thin, pressed cardboard used in many German toys of this vintage. The lid uses the old style 90° right angle staples in each corner. It features a handsome full color print of two young children dressed and groomed in period attire. It includes an accurate illustration of the toy, plus the toy name. The ESS DEE company logo appears in the lower right corner. The Distler name does not appear on the toy or box.
Size: 26".
Sold: May 2011
Price Sold: $ 812


Above:

 Tootsietoy # 810 Railway Express Truck with Wrigley's Gum
DIe cast with rubber tires mounted on metal rims
Circa 1935
Length:    4"    102mm


Above:

Arcade Model A Dump Truck with Side Dump Trailer
Painted cast iron, with nickel-plated  spoke wheels and driver, and added  knotted strings representing skid chains.
Circa : 1931
L x W x H:   13 1/4" x 3" x 3"    337mm x 76mm x 76mm


Above:

Hubley Lincoln Zephyr
Painted cast iron  with nickel-plated (separate) bumper, grille, and hood ornament assembly. 
The rear  is a separate nickel plated bumper and taillight assembly.
The tires are solid white rubber on painted wooden rims, and metal axles.
Circa: 1936
Length:    7 1/4"    84mm

Above:

Kingsbury  Mechanical Tractor and Trailer (# 223 Van) in Original Box
An early pressed steel clockwork motor tractor with open sides pulls an open tow wheel trailer.
The driver is original, but probably a very old repaint.
Circa 1923
Length x Width:    11 1/2" x 3 1/2"    292mm x 89mm


   I've abridged (shortened) the written description that Danny wrote for each toy.  For those who want to have more details, simply visit Danny's fine website, and do a search by entering search words, the manufacturer, and toy name. I provided a "copy and paste" description for the first toy to illustrate the thoroughness with which Danny describes each toy. All of the top people that I write about have excellent feedback or reputations, and so does Danny. But that's his way of ensuring total openness with the potential bidders or buyers. For sure, I'l be writing more posts about Danny 
Kubert, starting in the immediate future with Japanese Robots

Thanks for dropping by,
and as always, have a great part 
of the day or night, wherever you may be.
Stacey
(toysearcher@gmail.com)




No comments: