Wednesday, September 11, 2013

The Cor-Cor Toy Company Revisited

Wednesday, September 11, 2013


The Cor-Cor Toy Company Revisited


     Earlier in the week, I received an e-mail from someone who had come into  a set of 5 Cor-Cor toys.He had asked me if the toys  should be restored. I didn't have any photos,  but I suggested not to because restoration old toys is not always worthwhile when they go on the resale market. Just as I sent that reply, there was another e-mail from the same person. I had not looked at all my messages. The 5 Cor-Cor toys appeared to need a lot of parts, and also 2 of the toys were looking the wrong paint colours. One was metallic copper or gold while the another was yellow. I'm no authority on toys, but the colours looked too bright. I didn't remember Cor-Cor going for such bold and "off (copper/gold) colours. I wrote back to the viewer to now say that if these toys were family heirlooms and important to him. that he might now think of restoring them. As well, as I told the viewer to check some of the auctioneers websites that I have the permission to use their photos.

   Naturally, this set off that light in my head (e.g. old logo for idea), and I checked to see what I had once written about Cor-Cor. Sure enough, I had written, but at the time, did not include the nowadays "usual" 10 photos.  What was even more interesting was the fact that when I went to search Bertoia Auctions website, there were plenty of restored Cor-Cor automobiles. Of course that will be another post - for sure! I hope the viewer went to check out Bertoia Auctions, since this might encourage him to restore.  I also asked if he'd send lots of photos, so that I could write a post about him and his toys. I'm still waiting to hear back from him.

History of the Cor-Cor Company

   The Cor-Cor  toy company or Corcoran Metal Produts was located in  Washington, Indiana (USA) and was in business from 1925-1941. They made very nice large-sized toys, as you'll see from the descriptions of the toys about each photo.  There's not much else that I seem to be able to find, but I'll be searching for more history.  The toys that you'll see today, and at a later date (restored automobiles) are very beautiful, and are well worth finding about. their history.






You have to look at the hood side to see compare the above 2 cars. Comparing, you'll see that the ari vents are totally different between the 2 ars. 










The truck above is my favourite. I played around in Photoshop to emphasize the grill and the side air vents. I especially like the service platform (step-up) at the back of the truck, and all of the embossing, which you can always see on most of their toys.


Since I will be writing a future post about restored Cor-Cor automobiles, I had to select this particular  Graham as the final image. It was customized insofar as the colour of the car goes (gun-metal grey). I'll also have to check about those outstanding nickel-plated hubcaps.  Have a look at my posts on the Tootsietoy Grahams and LaSalles.  Those are also some of my favourite toys.  When you visit that post (just do a search on my blog), you'll immediately understand why I like them so much. Also, I had the pleasure to buy and sell many, so I actually saw them first hand!

And if you have more time, do a Net search for the Chrysler Airflow cars. If you can search out large images in your search. The Airflow was a beautiful car, but failed to sell well . Consequently, the car stopped being  produced. It's a beautiful-looking car!


Thanks for dropping by,
and have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be.
Stacey
toysearcher@gmail.com



12 comments:

Unknown said...

Very informative blog. I purchased a Cor Cor bus recently and a long time toy collector said he thought mine was actually a Turner bus. Your photos prove that it is indeed a Cor Cor original. Keep up your good work, please. Sincerely, Scot Reeder

Unknown said...

Very informative blog. I purchased a Cor Cor bus recently and a long time toy collector said he thought mine was actually a Turner bus. Your photos prove that it is indeed a Cor Cor original. Keep up your good work, please. Sincerely, Scot Reeder

toysearcher said...

Hi Scot,

Thanks for reading my blog and for the nice compliments.
If you have old or antique toys, I'm always interested in
writing new posts.Feel free to write me for further information.

Stacey
Blogwriter
toysearcher@gmail.com

Debbie said...

Hello Stacey, I just sent you a email with pictures of a 3 piece set of a Cor-Cor train. Hoping to hear from you.

collector nut said...

i just purchased a 1932 cor-cor graham electric car. its in pretty good restorable shape. ive never collected toys, but this one has so much appeal i couldnt pass it up. i hope a site for just cor-cor will happen in the future.

toysearcher said...

Hello Collector Nut,

Thanks for writing.
I have an offer for you - how would you like to appear on my blog?
JUst send me nice photos, with a short narrative about the toy, and how you found it, and why you purchased it.

Good photos are best:

1. When photographed on white with a white background
2. Soft natural light or soft artificial light
3. A tripod (if possible) to avoid camera shake
4. 6" x 8" @ 300 dpi - I like to improve photos in Photoshop.

Please feel free to ask me any questions that you might have.

Regards,

Stacey Bindman
Blogwriter

Anonymous said...

Was the Cor-Cor Graham ever manufactured without headlights? The one I have has no provisions for mounting lights. Please let me know. Many of the examples on the internet seem to be missing them...
Thanks,
fg

toysearcher said...

Hello Anonymous,

Below is a link to a Cor-Cor Car with headlights:

https://www.hakes.com/Auction/ItemDetail/93985/COR-COR-1934-DeSOTO-AIRFLOW-WBATTERY-OPERATED-LIGHTS-WIND-UP

Thanks for writing,
Stacey

Chk said...

I just found what I believe is a cor cor car at a rural auction here in Wisconsin. It's in solid shape with original radiator Grill and rubber tires. If anyone's interested in seeing it I could send and image.

Anonymous said...

I'm needing 2 Graham hub caps for my Cor Cor Graham

toysearcher said...

Hello Anonymous,

For toy replacement parts, you might try:

1. Enter the words "Replacement Toy Parts" on ebay

2. Go to "https://www.gasolinealleytoys.com/" and see what parts they have

Thanks for the question, and sorry for answering so late.

Stacey Bindman (Writer of this blog)

toysearcher said...

Hello Anonymous Again,

I forgot to add Thomas Toy Parts.

They have a lot of stock for toy parts replacements.

Stacey Bindman (writer of this blog)