Friday, September 6, 2013

Discoveries Still to be Made

Friday, September 6, 2013


Discoveries Still to be Made

   I will never be able to write about all of the toys from pre-1940 and earlier. There are just too many.  Some times, I've seen many, many times, and others, I've never seen before. I was waiting for Bertoia Auctions to post their future auction for November, and now I can say that it's up. I decided to look through and write about some new discoveries. Normally, I choose the most expensive or the ones that have the highest initial opening bid. However, this time, I've  decided to start on page 1 and move along till I come to the end.  well, maybe, not that much, since, after all, there are 2144 lots on 43 pages. I finished today at page 3, and left many toys out to write about for the future. This auction that will occur on  Friday- Sunday of November 8-10, 2013, and it's called  the 
"Christmas Wishes Auction". Bertoia Auctions always has names for their auctions, more-meanfully, when famous collections are being presented. They also publish beautiful catalogues, that both bidders and collectors can purchase. So for today, here are 10 nice items from the auction. They're not all high-priced, but they certainly are very nice, and except for the Hubley Ferris Wheel toy, which I've written about, and the ambulance, I've never seen the other 8.  




The above toy was probably made between 1900-1920. The toy is certainly modelled after a very old car from way back. What I just now noticed is how  in the 8 photos with people, everyone is wearing a hat or a bathing cap.   It's interesting how hats have now made a comeback and are back in fashion is this second decade of the 21st century.



Here's another early toy that's probably from the 1910's-1920's.
I'm basing that on the open cab design of the truck.

If the fire chief has to ride in a horse-drawn carriage, then you have to know that this is also an early 20th century toy.


I was surprised that this toy's opening bid price is not high.  However, from the description of the horses having been  "overpainted", I would infer that this is a repaint. Nevertheless, the side cutter  of this toy is most interesting as a toy.



I've seen this toy, as well as a hearse toy, but never wanted to present them. Of course, that's "silly", not wanting to present a toy based on my "queeziness" about certain things. 



I don't know if a milkman figure originally came with the small truck, and if the figure here is that one.However, in the early 1950's I can remember having our milk delivered to our second floor home of a triplex. Then the milk was not yet homogenized, and the cream floated to the top, and was a slightly yellowish-taupe colour. You had to mix the milk and the cream then. Also the milk came in a rounded glass bottle with cardboard caps.  


The item above is a doorstop. If you do a search for cast iron doorstops, you'll have to spend a month going through all of the different doorstops that were made. I've always wondered why so many? Were buildings and doors always poorly made, so that they always swung open, and had to be stopped with door stoppers? I'd also like to know why when I see a vintage movie, I never see door stops!


THis toy is called a "pull toy" for those who don't know.  A string would be attached to the eyelet at the fornt of the yellow board. This toy came with an elliptical axle, so that as the toy moved, the surfing lady would move up and down as if she was surfing.

I've seen and written about this toy, but never had a good close-up photo of the details.   There's is lots of detail to this toy!


So that's it for a sunny Friday here in Montreal.
The day started off cold, but ended up windy and sunny.

Thanks for dropping by, 
and as always have a great part of the day,
wherever you may be.

Stacey
toysearcher@gmail.com

No comments: