Friday, February 3, 2012

More than Toys

Friday, Febraury 3, 2012


More Than Toys
(Fond Memories of a Wonderful Father-in-Law)

Kenton Cast Iron  Sulky and Driver
A True Antique

 Today's instalment is interesting, because like some of my other instalments, I came upon the idea by accident. When I went to my bedroom, I instantly got the idea.
  
Sometimes there's more to toys than just selling them. I had tried to sell the Kenton Horse and Sulky several times on E-Bay. It's a fine collectable dating from the early 1900's - a true "antique", as compared with called it "vintage"

I had easily sold 2 of these before, but didn't sell this particular one. Then, in a "Eureka Moment", I realized that my late father-in-law George, used to have race horses here in Montreal. The Blue Bonnets Race Track, closed down several years ago because of a decline of fans. 

When George was alive, and long before I met my wonderful wife Heidi, he'd talk about the "nags" that didn't win him very much, but he always had a fondness for horses. I think that when he was a child, George's father was a peddler and had a horse and buggy to sell his wares. That's what inspired George to have race horses.

Coming back to this toy, that "Eureka moment" let me think "outside the box", and I said, why not keep this toy in honour and memory of George. So now it sits on my bedroom cabinet, and I am always reminded of George.












A Hubley Sailor Boy 
Cast Iron Bank

   My wife, Heidi says that I don't listen, and most of the time, I have to admit, begrudgingly, she's right. However, I remember many things.  When I watch Jeopardy with Alec Trebek, I  end up answering questions, that even I am amazed at, and don't know how I know the answers. Heidi says that I should go on Jeopardy, but I'd probably get too nervous, start sweating, and get tongue-tied!

   So to come to the point, here's the story of the Hubley Cast Iron Sailor Boy Bank- almost an antique!

When George (My late father-in-law) was alive, he'd always be reminded of a story whenever he looked at a memorable photo of a family member. When he was about 4-6 years old (1925-1927), a door-to-door photographer came to his house and  photographed George dresses up in a sailor's outfit. I guess in those days, the photographer not only came to your house, but brought with him sets of clothing for the children to wear. Unfortunately, when the photographer came back with the proofs (sample photographs to choose from)George's mother could not afford the 25 cents for a photograph. Days, then months, then years went by, and George never got his photo. When he was an adult, and when I was courting my future wife, he'd always remind us of the photo that he never got. He would think about and wonder what had happened to it.  











Well, if there is a heaven, I'm sure George has met up with the photographer and now had his photograph of himself in the sailor's outfit!

*The reason that there are so many photos is that I am a photographer, and thought you'd appreciate the different photos and subtleties of the imagery.

As always, thanks for visiting,
 and have a well-rested weekend, wherever you may be.




No comments: