Wednesday, February 1, 2012

It's Not As Bad As It Looks!

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

It's Nor As Bad As It Looks!

   I saw 2 "rustbuckets" last week listed on e-Bay. The seller had listed them as a "Buy It Now or Make an Offer". I offered 2 low offers as these items were in really bad shape. I figured I'd try and clean them up if I won them. My low offers were accepted, and I was going to have these 2 items come to me!

   Before I proceed, I'd like to advise everyone to think of your safety first and foremost.


 1.  Rubber  gloves

 Leather work gloves would be safer! You don't want to get any metal splinters in your hand.
If you do, you need to go to the hospital, and get a tetanus injection!

2. A mask

There's lot's of microscopic dust that is created when you sand or use the wire brush attachment on the drill.

3. A Drill 

Battery or Electric will do

4. Safety Glasses

Years ago, I was looking in the mirror while shaving, when I noticed I had orange pigments in 1 eye.
I didn't know what they were, and so I naturally went to the ophthalmic (eye) department of the hospital.   The ophthalmologist  (eye doctor)  examined my eye with a a lot of light and magnifier,and said that the orange pigments were metal splinters! He froze my eye, and then use a scalpel to remove the particles! That was very "scary", but fortunately there was no damage, and I healed!

I never work with any machines or tools without safety glasses and A lot of bright light!

5. Protective Ear Muffs

I turned 63 in November of last year, and my hearing is weakening, especially for high-pitched sounds or even to hear the ticking of a manual watch, or an electric house light timer. So for safety reasons, and to keep my hearing, I again always use these Ear Protectors to muffle as much sound as possible.

 A Hubley 1930's Cast Iron Truck



 A Hubley 1930's Cast Iron # 5 Racer

 The results from using the wire brush on the battery-operated drill

 The results from using the wire brush on the battery-operated drill


 The amount of rust that I removed with the wire brush.

 The  metal axle is salvageable,but the rubber wheels ahd the wooden rims are not!
 The results  altogether after having used the wire brush on the battery-operated drill.

 The results after using a Dremmel high-speed motor.
The problem is that the machine started to smoke, and I'm concerned that the motor has burned out!
I'll be writing the company, as I haven't used the machine all that much, and as such, it  should not have burned out so fast!


 The results on the racer.
You can see the actual red patina (age-worn paint surface)

 The driver of the car
With proper work, this small driver could actually be saved and come out very nice.

 Other views of the racer.

I thought of going to a local car repair shop and asking them if I might use their sandblaster. They owe me a favour when I gave them a set of mag wheels that I couldn't sell, and hoped that maybe they could use them.

However, I thing for selling these 2 items, I'll leave the 2 toys in this state. I'm quite sure than a true toy collector-restorer will be able to rejuvenate these fine toys to the majesty that they once had.


Less than 7 weeks till the spring equinox, 
where the day and night are equal in time at 12 hours each! 

As always, have a great morning, afternoon, or evening wherever you may be. 












No comments: