Saturday, September 17, 2011

The Tootsietoy Grahams

Saturday, September 17, 2011


The Tootsietoy Grahams

     The Tootsietoy Grahams are a  superb set of toys unto themselves. They were built by the Tootsietoy toy Company from 1933-1939. They came as a set of parts to be assembled. These sets were called BUILD-A-CAR. There was a bottom chassis and a top frame which fit into each other. The 2 axles that held the wheels went through 2 small holes on each side of the chassis. The axle was threaded through, with each side having a tire and wheel, the excess axle was cut off, then heated with a match, and hammered in order to flatten. In this way, the axle would not be able to slip through the metal wheel and fall off. Another variation had small cylindrical clips in the centre. Each of four 1/2-length axles held a tire, and 2 axles on each side (left and right) were fed through the clips and held in place. This to me seems an easier way, than cutting the long axle, heating it up with a match, and then hammering the end to flatten and expand the end.


A Sample Tootsietoy Build-A-Car Set 
The body and chassis (black) are repainted, and the axles, wheels (hubs) and grill are replacements.

2 Similar Tootsietoy Grahams
The car on the right is from the Build-A-Car.
The only difference between the 2 cars is that one has a spare tire on the back.

Notice the crimping of the axle ends.
This flattening effect widened the end, and held the tires and hubs and axles in place for almost 80 years.

This side illustrates the rounded ends of the axles.


     There are about 9 different models in this series of Tootsietoys. I'll present them below, along with some dialogue. There might even be more. When there are few books and original resources (1930's Tootsietoy catalogues), it's sometimes hard to know what was way back then.

Above are 7 different Grahams in assorted different conditions.
Some are missing tires and some are missing a headlight.

This photo is almost he same as the one above.The only difference is that I replaced the back left car. 
I had listed it on E-Bay, and realized that when I had to ship it on the sale.
I then replaced it with a tow truck.
In the above 2 photos, you have the 8 different models.



Tootsietoy Graham #1
Convertible with a "rumble seat" 

I started to create what are called montages in order to save money on E-Bay listings.
On E-Bay, the first uploaded photo is free, but every one after is 15 cents, and a package of 6 is- discounted slightly. 

When you start to sell 20 toys at a time, the costs can get high.

I have noticed other people starting to do this also, and I hope I gave them the idea!

Tootsietoy Graham #1 - Other Views
Convertible with a "rumble seat" 


Tootsietoy Graham #2
A Coupe in original condition and parts except for 4 new tires. 


Tootsietoy Graham #2

Notice the bottom photo and how the axles fit through the holes of the chassis to unite the upper frame and the lower chassis. 


Tootsietoy Graham #3 - Beautifully Restored

This is almost the same car as Graham # 2, but it doesn't have the 5th spare tire in the back.
It has 2 spares on either side of the front fenders.

Tootsietoy Graham #3 - Beautifully Restored

Restored toys are not for everyone. Purist collectors insist on collecting old and antique toys in their entirety!  If I collected old toys (rather than selling them), I wouldnt mind the restored ones.


Tootsietoy Graham #4 
A 4-door sedan
Tootsie Graham # 5
This one is similar to # 4, but has the rear-positioned spare tire.

Tootsie Graham # 5 as a 2-toned paint theme



Tootsie Graham # 6
When I find the specific name of this type of Car, I'll add it.
Just last week, I was watching a movie on the Silver Classics channel, and I saw one of these.
I wonder how the chauffeur managed in rain and snow in the front seat?

Tootsie Graham # 7
A Graham Tow Truck

Another Tootsie Graham # 7 - A Graham Tow Truck
Notice that both are missing their hooks.
I have 1 of these somewhere on my computer, and when I find it, I'll add it.
With all of those Grahams around, you certainly needed a tow truck!

Tootsie Graham # 8
The Tootsietoy Graham Dairy Truck - Badly repainted and in Black!


Tootsie Graham # 8 - Another view

Tootsie Graham # 9
Beautifully restored and repainted, along with a new front grill/headlights/bumper.

I've personally repainted and restored some Hubleys.
I filled in the small holes with car body filler that is used on"real"cars; it works!

Another Photo of Some Tootsietoy Grahams

Tootsie Graham # 5 Repainted

More Tootsietoy Photos
The top Graham is missing its' lower front bumper!

Front and Back Views of Previously Shown Grahams


Another Photo of Previously-Shown Grahams.


Some Notes:

1. These toys that were produced during the Great Depression or just after certainly must have made children happy to be playing with them and having them

2. I just remembered that I think there is a 10th model. It's a 4-door sedan, with 2 wheels on the sides next to large wheel wells.

3. I was selling these quite well, but in the last month everyone seems to be selling the,, so they're hard to sell. Anyone interested? If you have a PayPal account, I'll sell what inventory that I have.
The cars will sell for $ 50.00 each, and I will supply any missing parts.


















4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Better have a look here:

http://www.tsrfcars.com/toys-tootsietoys_portal.htm

I guess this will answer all your questions.

toysearcher said...

Hello Anonymous,

Thanks for reading my blog and providing everyone with this great resource.

Now that's a collection!

Stacey Bindman

Unknown said...

Hi, I have a car and it says "Tootsietoy USA" its missing the "made in"

Why is this?

Thanks.

toysearcher said...

Hello "Unknown",

I don't know why your toy is missing the words "made in".
It might be an error in the casting, but I doubt
if this makes your toy all the more valuable.

Hope this helps,

(Mr.) Stacey Bindman
Blogwriter