Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Photomatix- HDR-Blog Instalment 2-WOW!

Tuesday, September 21, 2011

Photomatix 
HDR-Blog Instalment 2
WOW!
     I was working for about 30 minutes in another program to try and get HDR to work in it. For some reason, I couldn't get it to create an HDR image. So, I decided to return to Photomatix and see what I could do there.  Immediately, I had a deja vu (memory recall - I live in Quebec, where I know a few words in French). I was so busy trying to create a "normal" HDR image, that I forgot that there can be fun to photography as well. just to remind everyone in case you forgot, HDR is an abbreviation for High Dynamic Range. Your camera cannot capture the whole range of tones (light and dark areas) in a photo. That's HDR. So what software designers have done is to create a "blending" process, whereby identical images (exact f-stop, shutter speeds changed) photographed on a tripod, can be  combined to take the darkest darks, and brightest whites, all with detail, and combine them. What you end up with is detail "all over the place".  Pretty soon, digital cameras with bigger brains "CPU's) will be able to do just that inside them!

    As I was saying, my "Eureka Moment" came about and I decided to use Photomatix for fun. Not having used it since my first instalment of Photomatix, I immediately realized how easy and user-friendly it is. If I had a software wish list, my first wish would be for all software to function as well as Photomatix, and be as easily understood and user-friendly. P.S. I don't get paid for this advertisement!

The Photomatix Icon

1. The Opening Window
It looks quite plain until you start working!

2. Start the Search for Images


3. Browse and then Select

4. Load the Bracketed Images

5.Select and Load the Bracketed Images

I already mentioned that you need to work with bracketed images. This simply means that you overexpose (for dark shadows) and underexpose (for bright highlights) to capture the detail that can;t be captured in a normal exposure.

5. Preprocess

This allows you to process the images and 
then view the combined image before proceeding to the next step


 Photomatix informs you what is going on behind the scenes.
Even when you're waiting, you're being entertained!

6.  The Result (Part 1)
You have the opportunity to cancel or go forward.

Also, you can look at "ghosted" areas and then try and correct them.
In my case,  next to the satellite dishes  there is ghosting of the blurred movement of trees and leaves
during several bracketed exposures. 

A "ghost" is an unwanted faint hazy effect. In my photo it's very apparent. Ir other instances, it simply be from lighting (e.g. flare).


An Enlargement to Better Show You the Ghosting

The Ghosting Certainly is There!

7. After you press "OK", you will get  a weak image that you don't expect.

Once you've processed the image, 
you'll get the image below with a whole group of menus and sub-menus.

Now the "fun begins"!


 I moved most of the menus together for you to see.

Another view with ALL of the menus

I chose "Enhancer-Grunge" from the right-handed menu 
That menu provides you with small photos of what the "effect" will look like

Enlarged "Enhancer-Grunge" small Image 

You can "undo" with a small menu box


The sliders on the left show you which ones I altered

Here's another example of ""Ghosting" around the periphery of the particular satellite dish.

The "Before" Menu            The "After Menu"
 (Image Above)                   (Image Below)

Image created by Adjusting the Sliders of the Above Menu


 Image Created by Adjusting the Sliders Even More!


    So that's it for today. I hope I've perked your interest and motivated you to try this software through the free trial download.  Who knows, you may re-examine your old photos and start to become an "artiste". In this day and digital era, anything is possible!










































    



2 comments:

Peter Joe said...

Very interesting and nice blog about toys in the period of 1920s to 1950. Very nice steps to start a blog like this and topic is really different and impressive. Toys are the friends of children and your blog is really deserves appreciation.

toysearcher said...

Hi Peter Joe,

Thanks for the comments and dropping by.
I have another blog about professional photography:

http://prophotographylearning.blogspot.ca/2013/07/a-simple-macro-photo.html

If you like photography and software, you might be interested in that one as well.
I don't give that one enough attention though. I had to decide which blog I'd like to see develop best and so the toy one won.

I do return infrequently there to write though.

Stacey
Writer of oldantiquetoys