Sunday, February 23, 2014

A Whole Lot of Fine Early Hubleys From the Lloyd Ralston Gallery

Sunday, February 23, 2014
        ( Sunny, windy and milder) 


A Whole Lot of Fine Early Hubley Toys
From the Lloyd Ralston Gallery

   I would have liked to have posted these fine Hubley toys long before the auction ended (yesterday), but I'll try for the next auction. It's not often that I am able to have many Hubley toys together, and selling in lots of two to four. This allows me to present many more toys on 1 post. My normal amount is 10, a lot for most blogs, but today, I was able to present many more. What's more, is that you can easily compare them to each other when they;re in a lot, and see many more toys on 1 blog page.

  I noticed that the Lloyd Ralston Gallery has increased the images sizes of their toys up for auction, when you enlarge the images. This is great when you want to see small detail, especially with small toys like the Dinky or Tootsietoy companies. Also, they place their items against light-colored or grey backgrounds, which allows me to replace them with white quite easily.  I like white because it  presents the toy better without any shade or colour behind.














I decided to add a few Hubley catalogue pages to cross reference the actual toys and the catalogue images. What I've always found quite interesting is how America produced such heavy toys, which is almost unique to the world, ad that time. Railroad shipping costs were quite low at the time,and thus very heavy toys could be shipped wherever the trains went. Also, you have to remember that in the 1900-1930's, the super highways and Interstates of the USA, were not built yet. Therefore, the railway system of the USA was the best way to ship., and the most accessible at the time.

The upper left # 387 Fire Engine from the Hubley Catalogue can be seen below


You can see the Hubley Airflow below on the catalogue page.
What would be a post about Hubley without occasionally including the Airflow?
That's one of my favourite Hubley toys.







The above black and white is from a 1930's Hubley Catalogue.
You can see 2 of the toys below.



Thanks for dropping by,  and as always,
have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be.
Stacey
write to me anytime at
toysearcher@gmail.com



No comments: