Monday, January 7, 2013

A Helping Hand from An Outstanding Ruby Lane Store

Tuesday, January 8, 2013
               (post # 2 of the day)


A Helping Hand from an Outstanding
Cachet Antiques, Collectibles, and Fine Art

     Yesterday, I discovered that the steam engine toy actually had accessory items to go with the steam engine. That certainly was an "enlightening" moment. After 20 months writing about old toys, and just discovering the toy steam engine, I made this great find - steam engines have accessories that can be purchased that will run off of the steam generated.

   I can't speak for other bloggers, but once I get a lead (like a detective), I try and chase down the source to have a more complete understanding. I did a search yesterday for Arnold toys, and as I mentioned yesterday, I got 60% returns of Arnold Schwarzenegger. Arnold is fine, but I wasn't looking for the former governor of California or the Sci-Fi movie actor! So I did another more-specific search, and I found a photo of exactly what I was looking for.

   That brought me to Ruby Lane and to a very interesting store called Cachet Antiques, Collectibles and Fine Art. I sent an introductory note for permission to use the nice photos of the steam engine with the accessory toys, and I got an answer on Monday. The owner of the store is Mary Louise Baker, and she also happens to be a Canadian from Nova Scotia. I've been to Nova Scotia once, as well as New Brunswick, and Prince Edward Island. The landscapes are beautiful, and the people are very, very nice and warm-hearted.

Louise, as she prefers that to I guess Mary, wrote me back after I asked her another question about Ruby Lane. For those who don't know, Ruby Lane is an online antique mall that has 1000's of nice antique stores with all kinds of merchandise. I've purchased a few toys from several different stores, and I've always had an excellent feeling about the people there. The merchandise is already priced and displayed. Sometimes the seller will allow the potential buyer to make an offer. The people reply to your questions fast, and after you receive your item, Ruby Lane sends you a note to ask how everything went. Because you're not bidding against other people  as on E-Bay, you don't feel that pressure to keep bidding up or lose out at the last second to someone  who has a sniping program.The item is on Ruby Lane, you can do a search to check the prices elsewhere, and then you pay. 

Returning to Louise Baker and Louise's site, I couldn't just  write about the steam engine and accessories - I wanted to add more. And as luck would have it, I saw another fine toy for sale that Louise has for sale. It's a beautiful Japanese friction Chevrolet Car form the 1950's. I've sent out a feeler to a  Japanese store on E-Bay that sells these toys, but I haven't heard back.  I also decided to add a true "antique" German doll that is also for sale on Louis's site.  




((please click on the address above to be redirected to Louise Bakers fine store)


Today's "Masterpiece"


The set of of toys below are from West Germany and are made by a company called Fleischmann.

The power engine below measures 7" x 8" (178 mm x 204mm) which I assume are L x H. The workmen are 4" high (102 mm). Louise told me that a rubber band would link the power from the engine to the individual toys. You can see the silver-coloured pulley wheel on each of the toys.







The workman in the above photo might be missing a rod that he held in his hands.


The small pulley wheel would accomodate a rubber band or a metal wire that connected to the steam engine.






Another nice photo of the set of accessory toys and the steam engine.



Another Great Find - A 1940's-early 1950's Japanese Friction Toy Car (Chevrolet)


The toy below is 9" long (229 mm), but doesn't seem to have the name of the manufacturer puched or printed anywhere on the toy. The friction toys from Japan ,including the sci-fi toys seem to get very high prices considering their relative newer age, and what I would assume the vast amounts of toys produced worldwide.


Louise's photography is very good, and I just had to do some small adjustments

 to present the toy to you.













The Final Toy 
A Beautiful Doll 

This fine doll truly shows the vast knowledge that Louise knows about her merchandise. The doll is a true antique having been produced about 1912. The doll is a Nobbi Kid Doll. It's Armand Marseille's little # 253 made for a company called Borgfeldt. The doll stands 6.75" (173 mm), and has hand-painted eyelashes, and beautiful blue eyes. The doll's hair is auburn-dyed mohair! The dress is not the original but is a dress from the same era as the doll.

If you go to the store, Louise has a wonderful mastery of the English language to describe the toy much better than I can.








I don't know much about dolls, but this photo would certainly 
help any experienced viewer verify the toy. The imprinted information on the back of the doll's head, the cloth material on the inside of the doll, and the detail in the socks and shoes certainly illustrate and compliment the written narrative.


    For myself, this post was certainly an education. It's great to have met Louise, and her knowledge of toys, especially the doll is encyclopedic. Her short descriptions of her many other items for sale is also very interesting to read. 

So thanks for dropping by,
and have a great part of the morning, afternoon, or evening,
wherever you may be.

Stacey

No comments: