Thursday, October 18, 2012

Special Branded Tootsietoy Trucks

Monday, October 22, 2012


Special Branded Tootsietoy Trucks


(You can click on the address to visit the Lloyd Ralston Gallery Sight)

(With Special thanks to Glenn and Terry Ralston for
allowing me to use their nice toy photos)

    I didn't know that  there were custom-ordered Tootsietoys until I saw one on e-Bay. 

A Short Story

    I saw a "specially-labelled truck with a 1930's  Eaton's  logo on the sides of it. Eaton's was a famous department store that  closed down about 10 years ago.It couldn't compete anymore with the likes of Walmart and Zeller's (like a Walmart's).  It was a famous chain of stores that had lasted almost 100 years.  There were 3 department store chains in Canada,and downtown Montreal as  long as 40 years ago, but each one succumbed to  the change in times.  Simpson's went first, then Eaton's. The last one still exists, but it's now owned by Americans. It was called Morgan's about 60 years ago, but it changed its name to The Hudson Bay Company. If you're thinking that this is the same company that started in 16040 in Canada, and opened up Northern Canada. They became extremely wealthy at the time, with the fur trade,and establishing  remote trading posts to trade with our indigenous peoples (Native people such as the Inuit and Indian Cree, Mohawk, Iroquois).

    When I was a child in the 1950's (I'm 63 now) ,my grandmother Lilly would take me downtown. We would eat at the Simpson's cafeteria and shop for small things.  I even remember when Queen Elizabeth visited Montreal sometime in the early 1950's.  

    What made Eaton's special in my mind were 3 things:

1. Elevator ladies dressed in nice uniforms and white gloves would manage the elevator.
They would inform the riders what merchandise would appear on each floor.

2. Later in the 1960's-1990's there was a special woman who answered your questions as to where to find items. This fine lady, who of course, spoke the 2 official languages (French and English) knew exactly where anything and everything was in all 10 floors of  Eaton's.

3. Eaton's policy was a no-hassle money back guarantee if you were not satisfied with your purchase. I once hears a "story" about one of our neighbours. I can't verify the story, but this woman certainly had  gaul! The story goes that she returned a washer and dryer after 10 years in her house. Eaton's took it back!


4. And my most heart-warming memory of Eaton's

At the back west side on the first floor was a bronze plaque.  As a small boy in the 1950's, I never knew what the plaque was, nor did I probably ever notice it.  However, as an adult, going to university, and working downtown, I did notice that plaque. It was a memorial plaque dedicated to all of the Eaton's employees  from Canada who gave their life for their country, and at the top of the list without any larger-sized letters were several Eaton members. I never forgot that, and always would buy whatever I could there.  The times certainly did change from those days,a long time ago!



A Tootsietoy on E-Bay Brings Back  Heartfelt Memories

     Earlier this year when I was more active in  buying and selling toys, I noticed a dark blue-black Tootsietoy truck with an old font letter "E" on the side. I had never before seem such a Tootsietoy 1930's die cast truck, so naturally I had to read the description. What made the story all the more interesting was that the seller was form Montreal. The toy was an Eaton's Tootsietoy! What used to happen back then (and today with some  companies) was that Tootsietoy would custom-make special  trucks for companies. I assume that these particular Eaton trucks were handed out to children if their parents purchased a certain amount of items.


     By the way, I did bid on that toy. A Canadian Treasure" such as this could not be sold outside of Canada. Of course, After $ 200.00, I stopped bidding ,and I can't remember what nationality won the toy!


The "Regular" Trucks from the 1930's


     The "regular" toy trucks had generic names on the side of the truck sic as the "laundry" or grocery".




















The Specially-Named Trucks




















Some Notes

1. The all-metal die cast trucks with the 6-dotted metal wheels were from the 1920's-1930's

2. The rounder-looking die-cast trucks with the rubber tires were made in the later 1930's and 1940's.

3. Notice how the casting on the early toys are intentionally touch. You can see the rough inner window design. It's interesting that the Tootsietoy company left this as is, rather than have their employees use a file to smooth out the rough.


I certainly  did a lot of talking today.  I'm sure many of you have memories of toys or fishing, or vacations, and that's all part of out memories as we age.

I don't seem to be getting many viewers to look at my toy photos on Picasa, so I've decided to add a link:

https://picasaweb.google.com/111517723263057683985
(clicking onthe above address will get you to my Picas Photos. My name there is Major Trout)


So that's it for today.

Thanks for dropping by, and as always,

have a great morning afternoon, or evening,
wherever you may be.

Stacey

















No comments: