Friday, October 5, 2012

Mr. Art Sesselberg- A Master Collector and Mechanic

Friday October 5, 2012
A Beautiful Day in Montreal
Overcast and 68 F or 20 C 


Mr. Art Sesselberg
A Master Collector and Mechanic

    I was fortunate to have "discovered" Mr. A.W.Sesselberg's website when I  wrote my October 2 post or instalment. That post was about the K & O toy outboard motor that. Mr. Tom Ozara helped me with his photos of the toy, while Mr. Art Sesselberg helped me with the "real motors" to be used for comparison.

    I had one of those "Eureka moments" and subsequently asked Art if I might write about his blog on outboard motors. I was very thankful when he said yes. He gave me permission to use his photos and written material from his blog. I've only used a few because the resolution is a bit low just to copy and place here. It's better of you go directly to his site.

"Do you love the smell of two-stroke in the morning? Are you a fan of small engines and automobiles? Well, these things describe me. Outboards were my first real interest followed in later years by mopeds and then cars. (okay, tractors, lawn-mowers & I would love to get my hands on an airplane!) 

Since I was a kid, I have not been happy unless I had a little grease under my nails. I got my first outboards when I was about 9 ( 30+ years ago), a 1958 Elgin 2hp, and bought my first car at age 13. I couldn't drive it LEGALLY, but I could sure take it apart and get my hands good and cut up. It was a 1964 VW Beetle. I have also tinkered with antique yard equipment, motorcycles and even some heavy machinery."

I was surprised at Art's age. I'm not sure when he created his blog, but when I do a fast calculation  from the last paragraph, I would estimate him to be anywhere from 39-45 years old.
I'm sure he'' read this and correct me if I'm wrong.

I know that I'm not at all handy with taking things apart or better yet, putting them together again. So to look at Art's site, and marvel at his "mechanical genius" is unbelievable.  I won;t write much more, because his site will tell it all.However, he doesn't just restore outboard motors. I'll let you go visit his site to see what I mean.




Photo Courtesy Mr. A.W.Sesselberg Copyright 2012
Please do not copy without the permission of Mr. Sesselberg



     I wanted to present to you  the 2 photos above. I separated the background from the motors in order to better show you them without the distractions. The program that I use is called  Fluid Mask  3I don't get paid to boast about a program, but you have to try this program if you need to do the same work on your photos. 

     It's easy to use, fast to learn, and it's inexpensive. It works  very fast, and any "missed out areas" I do in Photoshop, as I usually need to add the "Courtesy and Copyright" writing to the photo.  And like most software program today, you are able to download a demo for a limited time use of the software.





Art's website is:

   http://www.oddjobmotors.com/

 and you can write to him at:



     It's already October, and the sun is already setting  at 6:26 P.M.EST today. It's been a great day, as it seems like the warm weather has continued from the summer. I'd like to thank Mr. Art Sesselberg today for having helped me on on my blog. I know that this post is different form my usual, but to see all of these old motors restored to running conditions is unbelievable! So that's it for today.


New Addition

 Art send me 3 more photos of a nice Evinrude today (Monday, October 8, 2012)

Hi Again Stacey,

"As promised, attached are a couple of photos of my 1955 Evinrude Big Twin - K&O made a toy model of this exact motor.  This was the top-of-the-line model for 1955 and cost a whopping $525.00 new - not including battery and rigging.  The toys were available as give-away items by the dealers to the children of prospective customers or for sale at the dealerships.  Today this outboard runs so well and is so reliable that I consider it to be downright boring. (Nothing to tinker with!) "

  What's interesting about these motors  is the fact that they're at least 57 years old, and they still work.  When you consider how many motors were made at that time for hunters and fishermen, it's great to see people collecting and repairing them. That was a time in America when "Made In America" meant something, and  Americans were proud of that. 

Wh's also interesting is the great condition that these motors are in. I'm not sure of Art repainted the exterior of the Evinrude shown below.




Thanks for dropping by, 

and as usual, 
have a great weekend wherever you may be.

Stacey Bindman


No comments: