Saturday, October 21, 2017

OpAmerica to the Rescue

Sunday, October 22, 2017
Sunny with some clouds
21 C  70 F


OpAmerica



     The autumn weather continues to still amaze everyone. The sun is shining a lot, and the  temperature is still above normal for this time of year. I've continues to cycle, although have my fall thermals on to keep me warm. The mornings are usually cold and damp, so I always follow the old expression - "it's better to have to take off clothes than to not have the proper clothing on a cold day".

I decided to visit an old company on ebay who has helped me out in the past. I haven't blogged as much as I used to , but I still get motivated to write the occasional post.  And if you don;t know by now, I'm always happy to have anyone volunteer to send me their toy photos, and to write a short narrative accompanying the toys.

It's hard to remember all of the toys that I have written about, but occasionally, I do know what I have not written about. The fine toy racing cars from 1947 are definitely toys that I have not written about.

Description:

a set of four (4) Captain Marvel Lightning Racing Cars.  These cars are numbered 1 - 4 and feature great colorful litho graphics of Captain Marvel on the sides.  Each car measures 4" in length and has a side wind up slot for keys.  No keys are included.  Sides marked "Automatic Toy Co., NY", and "Cop 1947 Fawcett Publications, Inc".  Parts are all original.




  What interested me was the story behind these toys. 

Fawcett Comics, a division of Fawcett Publications, was one of several successful comic book publishers during the Golden Age of Comic Books in the 1940s. Its most popular character was Captain Marvel, the alter ego of radio reporter Billy Batson, who transformed into the hero whenever he said the magic word "Shazam!".

Fawcett Publications began in 1919 with the magazine Captain Billy's Whiz Bang and eventually expanded into a line of periodicals with a combined circulation of ten million a month. The company joined in the explosion of comic book publications in the United States in the late 1930s and early 1940s. Its initial entry, developed by writer Bill Parkerand artist C. C. Beck, was Thrill Comics, a single issue of which was published only as an ashcan copy. The content was then reworked (for example, the lead character of Captain Thunder was renamed to Captain Marvel) and published as Whiz Comics #2 (Feb. 1940).

The whimsical adventures of Captain Marvel and the Marvel Family (which included Captain Marvel, Jr.Mary Marvel, theLieutenants Marvel, etc.) eventually outsold those of Superman. National Comics (as DC Comics was then known) sued Fawcett, claiming that the Captain infringed on the copyright of their original costumed superhero. National Periodical's 1941 copyright hearing against Fawcett was dismissed on a technicality; National had failed to secure the copyright to theSuperman newspaper strip.


So that's it for today. I'm writing this post at 10:00 a.m. in the morning. The current temperature is 12 C  (54 F0, and I'm waiting for the temperature to rise a few degrees more.

Thanks for dropping by, 
and as always,
have a great part of the day or night,
Wherever you may be.

Stacey Bindman
toysearcher@gmail.com

No comments: