Tuesday, September 20, 2016

Have you Ever Heard of the Freeport Toy Company?

Thursday, September 22, 2016,
Sun with Cloud,
19 Celcius / 66 Fahrenheit

Have you ever Heard of the Freeport Toy Company?

   Lately, I've been getting reader requests asking me for information about a particular toy company. These questions always perk my curiosity and help me to continue writing. 

  Today's post is about Mr. Kevin Wernick and his question. Here's what Kevin Wernick wrote:

"Hello Mr. Bindman. Thank you for replying. I'm sending you pictures of the bus made by the Freeport Toy Company. I am very familiar with the old Arcade factory as I had relatives on Arcade Ave for many years. The Bauschers, I'm sure you've heard of them. But I don't recall ever hearing of the Freeport Toy Company. Any information you could gather would be extremely interesting to me, and probably to you as well. Thanks again, and hope to hear from you. My name is Kevin Wernick"

Interestingly, Kevin is related to a family by the name of Bauscher, which again perked my curiosity. I wrote Kevin back to ask who these people were. I inferred that they perhaps had a connection to the Arcade Toy Company, which is famous for having made cast iron toys in the 1900's and into the 1940's. Another interesting fact that I discovered is that the Arcade Toy COmpany was located in Freeport, Illinois.


 THe photo below shows the name of the Freeport Toy Company
punched into the inner sides opt the toy.

The paint appears to be original, but is quite "rough" in terms of painting
 preciously on different parts of the toy.

Below is the front view of the bus. By the way, the bus is a Greyhound , and I believe the toy is also very small. I sent Kevin another e-mail asking him to send me the dimensions.








What's interesting below, is the fact that there are nuts and bolts
 that attach the 2 halves of the toy at the front and back.

Also, the bus design would appear to be a Greyhound bus from the 1940's, 
ergo the approximate time period, when this toy would have been made.


So that's it for today. If anyone from Freeport, Illinois is reading this post, could you please help myself and my readers by providing information about the Freeport Toy Company, and any other toys that they may have made. However, anyone from elsewhere is also free to help us out.

Thanks for dropping by,
and as always,
have a great time of the day or night,
wherever you may be,
Stacey Bindman
(toysearcher@gmail.com)










No comments: