Friday, May 23, 2014

A Friend Helps me Out

Friday, May 23, 2014
            Cloudy with rain


A Friend Helps Me Out

I check my email several times a day, and so I was surprised to receive a letter from Mr. Clifford Olsen of Gotham City Toys on ebay. I had made an error (now corrected) in matching up a Hubley catalogue photo with the actual toy. He also sent me 2 interesting photos to compare (please see below) that  are great interest to collectors and sellers alike.




The great thing about the Hubley Take-Apart toys was that you could dismantle them and rearrange different top body parts with the respective bottom part. If you go to the link below for m McHoe, another fine seller from Wyoming, USA.






The 2 cars above are Hubley cast iron Studebaker roadsters from the 1930's.
Hubley made these toys in 2 sizes - the Stream Model and the Midget Line.
The lengths are 6 3/4" and  5"  ( 172 mm and 127 mm).



Cliff  also sent me the 2 images below which is something I might have known about, but never thought about using the technique with regard to old toys. It's the technique of using "black light" to check for paint retouching of nicks. I believe the technique is one of several used by museums to check for forgeries or a painting redone over another painting. Rembrandt sometimes did this when he didm;t like a painting and simply replanted over it.


The red marks over the violet truck body (above)
are the indicators as to where the retouching or paint over was done to the toy.The person who did the repainting did a very good job, as it's very hard to see the work in the regular photo  (below).


The final great news from Cliff was the fact that he mentioned that he just purchase a nice collection of Tootsietoys that was he will be selling on ebay

I can't wait to see what Cliff has for sale!

Thanks for dropping by,
and as always,
have a great part of the day or night, 
wherever you may be,
Stacey
toysearcher@gmail.com


No comments: