Tuesday, April 23, 2013

An Expert Corrects My Tootsietoy Inaccuracies

Tuesday, April 23, 2013


Mr.Philippe Lespinay
or
An Expert Corrects My Tootsietoy Inaccuracies

   I have the pleasure today, and later in the week of presenting to you - Mr. Philippe de Lespinay. Philippe is a collecotr of toys, but his collection and knowledge of  Tootsietoys is astral! Two days ago,I received a reply  from Philippe giving me permission to write about his website, written material, and of course his collection of cars - in this case - the Tootsietoys and the special class of Tootsietoys - The Grahams.  

   Tootsietoys were manufactured by an American company called the Cosmo-Dowst Manufacturing Company. For today's post,I decided to repost my Saturday, September 17, 2011 post in the Grahams. When I had written Philippe, I asked him to have a look at my article on the Grahams. He looked at my post, and politely write back:  " I read your post on your blog about the Tootsietoy models and you need yo correct many inaccuracies. Please let me help you:"

   One of the important things that I have learned from writing a blog, and being on the Net is that there are lots of people who know a lot more than I do about toys. So I easily accepted Philippe's corrections. He took the time to help me amend my old post, so I decided to add all of his corrections. The way I chose this is to duplicate the original post, but with all of the corrections - it's embarrassing!)

  So for today, here's the original post of September 17, 2011 with the correct written narrative thanks to Mr. Philippe de Lespinay.


"The Tootsietoy Grahams are a  superb set of toys unto themselves. They were built by the Tootsietoy Cosmo-Dowst Manufacturing toy Company from 1932 to 1941 under the Tootsietoy brand nameThey came as a set of parts to be assembled. While most models were sold fully assembled individually or in gift sets, fitted with one or two spare wheels except for a series of 4 commercial vehicles, some of the models, that did not have spare wheels, came unassembled in a gift set called “Bild-A-Car”. There was a bottom chassis and a top frame body with a riveted grille and front bumper which fit into each other. The 2 Nail-style half-axles that held the wheels went through 2 small holes on each side of thechassis body.The half-axles was were threaded through, with each side having a tire and wheel, the excess axle was cut off, then heated with a match, and hammered in order to flatten a steel sleeve retaining each half axle.
The standard versions of the toys received spare wheels (either one at the back or two on each side of the front wings), a nail-style through-axle threaded from the left side of the car and mechanically pinched on the right side.
In this way, the axle wheel would not be able to slip through the metal wheel  axle and fall off. Another variation had small cylindrical clips in the centre. Each of four 1/2-length axles held a tire, and 2 axles on each side (left and right) were fed through the clips and held in place. This to me seems an easier way, than cutting the long axle, heating it up with a match, and then hammering the end to flatten and expand the end.
(No one ever heated any axle at Dowst Manufacturing Co especially with matches, that would never provide enough heat to do anything else other than damage the rubber tires or the paint, the axles were simply mechanically flattened with a simple press).

A Sample Tootsietoy Build Bild-A-Car Set Graham showing standard assembly.
The body and chassis (black) are repainted, and the axles, wheels (hubs) and grill are replacements.

2 Similar Tootsietoy Grahams
The car on the right is from the Build-A-Car.
The only difference differences between the 2 cars is that one has a spare tire on the back and through axles, while the one at right has no spare and is assembled with half axles and a joining sleeve..


Notice the crimping of the axle ends.
This flattening effect widened the end, and held the tires and hubs and axles in place for almost 80 years. (Not believable since those axle have been incorrectly flattened, the tires are replacements and that the toy has obviously been repainted, hence taken apart).


This side illustrates the rounded ends of the axles.
There are about 9 different models in this series of Tootsietoys. I'll present them below, along with some dialogue. There might even be more. When there are few books and original resources (1930's Tootsietoy catalogues), it's sometimes hard to know what was way back then. Actually this has been well documented in quite a few books over the years...there are six body styles (sedan, coupe, roadster, town car, tow truck and van, the sedan, coupe, roadster and town car receiving one or two spare wheels or none) and  two chassis designs (one without holes for side spares. That makes a total, if one splits the 3 styles of vans, ambulance, dairy truck and tire truck, of 15 different models, as follows: 3 sedans, no spare, 1 spare and 2 spares, 3 coupes, 3 roadsters. 2 town cars, since there are no town cars in the Bild-A-car sets. 3 vans and 1 tow truck. 
...



This photo is almost he same as the one above.The only difference is that I replaced the back left car. 
I had listed it on E-Bay, and realized that when I had to ship it on the sale.
I then replaced it with a tow truck.
In the above 2 photos, you have the 8 different models.

Tootsietoy Graham #1
Convertible with a "rumble seat" 


I started to create what are called montages in order to save money on E-Bay listings.
On E-Bay, the first uploaded photo is free, but every one after is 15 cents, and a package of 6 is- discounted slightly. 

When you start to sell 20 toys at a time, the costs can get high.

I have noticed other people starting to do this also, and I hope I gave them the idea!
Tootsietoy Graham #1
Convertible with a "rumble seat" 



Tootsietoy Graham #2
A Coupe in original condition and parts except for 4 new tires. 

Tootsietoy Graham #2
Notice the bottom photo and how the axles fit through the holes of the chassis to unite the upper frame and the lower chassis. 


Tootsietoy Graham #3 - Beautifully Restored
This is almost the same car as Graham # 2, but it doesn't have the 5th spare tire in the back.
It has 2 spares on either side of the front fenders.


Tootsietoy Graham #3 - Beautifully Restored
Restored toys are not for everyone. Purist collectors insist on collecting old and antique toys in their entirety!  If I collected old toys (rather than selling them), I wouldnt mind the restored ones.
 Tootsietoy Graham #3 - Beautifully Restored
Restored toys are not for everyone. Purist collectors insist on collecting old and antique toys in their entirety!  If I collected old toys (rather than selling them), I wouldnt mind the restored ones.
Tootsie Graham # 5
This one is similar to # 4, but has the rear-positioned spare tire.


Tootsie Graham # 6
When I find the specific name of this type of Car, I'll add it.
Just last week, I was watching a movie on the Silver Classics channel, and I saw one of these.
I wonder how the chauffeur managed in rain and snow in the front seat?


Tootsie Graham # 7
A Graham Tow Truck

Another Tootsie Graham # 7 - A Graham Tow Truck
Notice that both are missing their hooks.
I have 1 of these somewhere on my computer, and when I find it, I'll add it.
With all of those Grahams around, you certainly needed a tow truck!

Tootsie Graham # 8
The Tootsietoy Graham Dairy Truck - Badly repainted and in Black!


Tootsie Graham # 8 - Another view



Tootsie Graham # 9
Beautifully restored and repainted, along with a new front grill/headlights/bumper.

I've personally repainted and restored some Hubleys.
I filled in the small holes with car body filler that is used on"real"cars; it works!

 Another Photo of Some Tootsietoy Grahams

 Tootsie Graham # 5 Repainted
More Tootsietoy Photos
The top Graham is missing its' lower front bumper!
Front and Back Views of Previously Shown Grahams

Another Photo of Previously-Shown Grahams.

Some Notes:
1. These toys that were produced during the Great Depression or just after certainly must have made children happy to be playing with them and having them
2. I just remembered that I think there is a 10th model. It's a 4-door sedan, with 2 wheels on the sides next to large wheel wells.  (See the notes above, there are 14 models)
3. I was selling these quite well, b
ut in the last month everyone seems to be selling the,, so they're hard to sell. Anyone interested? If you have a PayPal account, I'll sell what inventory that I have.
The cars will sell for $ 50.00 each, and I will supply any missing parts. (Restored Grahams are pretty much worthless to most collectors, especially when the restoration shows non original colors as in the case in most of the ones shown in your story, hence few takers. Cars with broken original grilles, bumpers or headlights sell for a fraction of intact cars. Cars with replacement grilles, tires, axles or paint sell for a fraction of original cars. Addressing toys made in the millions between 1932 and 1941, prices are high only for pristine original models with original parts, with the values crashing with condition or restorations. The best restored models sell for a fraction of a good original).
Regards,
Philippe de Lespinay

So that's it for today.  I certainly learned a lot from Philippe,and I'll be working on his post about the fabulous collection that he has, and of course the interesting writing that he has to say about these outstanding Tootsietoys.


Thanks for dropping by,

and have a great part of the day,

wherever you may be.

Stacey

3 comments:

toysearcher said...

Hi William,

Thanks for the comment.
In replying, I noticed that this post appears all "messed up" and I'll have to correct that.

Have a great day,
Stacey
toysearcher@gmail.com

Unknown said...

I was very pleased to find this site. I definitely enjoyed reading every little bit of it and I have it bookmarked to check out new stuff posted regularly
axlewheel

toysearcher said...

Hi William,

Sorry for the late reply.
Thanks for the compliments again, and taking the time to do so.

Stacey