Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Proper Packaging of Old Toys

Friday, April 13, 2012


The Proper Packaging of Old Toy
(Or anything for that matter!)


Introduction

     I live in Montreal, Quebec, Canada if you don't already know. Canada is right next door to the USA, its' the USA's biggest trading partner, we've supported them in WWI, WWII, and in Iraq, and Afghanistan.

    However, there is a huge percentage of American E-Bayers who will not  sell to Canada. 

1. One reason could be that it's simpler to sell in the USA. You have to fill out special forms to shop 
    outside of the USA. 

My answer to that is that we're 32,500,000 more buyers and with my bidding,
 you'll increase the value of your item in the bidding.

2. I've lost too many items shipping Internationally.

I've had 3 items break when I opened up the packaging. All 3 were due to poor packaging. 1 item was insured, but even Canada Post and USPS (United States Postal Service) wouldn't pay me for my insurance claim!

I didn't claim for the other 2 items, because I asked for the least-expensive shipping from the USA.
That service is USPS First Class International.

Unlike Canada Post which does insure all items under $100.00, there is no insurance or tracking for this service from the USA. Since I 'm asking and the sellers are helping me with the lower cost, I always promise never to file a claim, nor provide negative feedback.

I will usually ask for this service if the more expensive Priority Mail Service is posted. E-Bay "pressures" USA sellers to use this service, and then has the audacity to claim that all shipments are "Buyer Protected" with E-Bay.

The Priority Mail service has both tracking and insurance though, so if an item arrives broken or never arrives, you have to file a claim with the postal service, before you can file a claim with E-Bay!

I also include my E-Bay ID to verify to the potential sellers, that I am an excellent E-Bayer and have an excellent record, and that my promise to not claim is my word! Many people will help me out, and those that don;t I won't bid on their items. I simply can;t afford to pay $ 26.00 for Priority Mail for a $ 50.00 item!

Of 475 items sent to my house, I've only had those 3 items that I mentioned above, and nothing has ever been "lost" I have great confidence with both Canada Post and the USPS.

Packaging

     I package my items as if they were going to the Australia. I personally don;t want to have to take a loss due to poor packing. I expect the same form sellers, but each person has their own method, and some sellers are better than others.

    I received these 2 nice aluminum slush (?) toys today, and as soon as I started to open the box, I knew that's what my topic would be for today. I'm going to compliment the seller of course, and ask if I can use his/her name in this instalment.

    I like to use plenty of clear tape to ensure that the box does not open. If an item or 2 (combined shipping) are very fragile (e.g. Tootsietoy Grahams),  I will either package them in individual small boxes, or use corrugated cardboard. I cut thin cuts into the cardboard to form a triangle shape. I then place the car inside with paper at either end. The item or items are them placed in a box with shredded paper to act as a "buffer" or "shock-absorber" for an item as it gets bumped and dropped in its journey to my buyers. Sometimes, I'll even have several layers of cardboard for the sides, top, and bottom of the box to add even more protection.

The Box as it Arrived at My House

Notice the dent in the lower left corner of the box.
Fortunately, the items were superbly packed!


A piece of Styrofoam to act as a cushion and shock absorber.

Styrofoam is an excellent material, but I don't like it. The reasons are that it can't be recycled in my city, and it always has electrostatic electricity to it.  ONce you have a piece on your sweater, it's a "chore" to remove it. And if you put it in the garbage can, it will stick to your hand!



Each of the 2 items were carefully packaged with corrugated cardboard

The sides, bottom and top of the box had more Styrofoam

IThe 2 items in their custom-made corrugated cardboard  boxes.

Individual Wrapping for each Toy

Car 1

Car 2

The Sizes of the Cars

** I placed the sd card in the photo for 2 reasons:

1. It's more modern and interesting that a cent (penny).

2. Our government in their "infinite wisdom" has decided to get rid or eliminate the cent (penny).
Purchases and services will be "rounded off" to the nearest  5 cent unit.

This is suppose to save the government  32 1/2 million dollars, since each penny or cent costs them 1 1/2 cents to produce. If you noticed that I didn't use the word copper, I didn't. Years ago to save money on production, our "smart government" decided to plate zinc with copper and that was our cent. Before that, they had decided to make a 12-sided penny to "cut corners" so to speak.

My suggestion to our canadian Government would be to have members of Parliament speak less. 
If you've ever watched CSPAN in the USA or the Parliamentary channel in Canada, you'll know what I mean in terms of all that noise, and very little talk.

15 years ago, I remember reading an article that said that each work that a Member or Parliament or out Senate uttered cost us about  $ 4.00 - $7.00 at the time to transcribe into the Parliamentary Journals.

Imagine how much the cost is now, and the total cost for all of that "blabbering" If the government wanted to save money, then require Parliamentarians and Senators to "Twit". Keep the questions and answers to a maximum of 50 words. 

Imagine how much money that would save, and imagine how much more interesting the Parliamentary Channel and the USA's C-SPAN would be!

So thanks for dropping by, and excuse my "editorial", if that doesn't interest you. 

And as usual have a good morning, afternoon or evening wherever you may be.













1 comment:

toysearcher said...

Hi Richard,

Thanks for reading my blog.

I can't even imagine the great technology that there is out there to create customized packaging. There are 2 things that immediately come to mind about corrugated cardboard. The first one is how some artists in the 1950's or 1960's use the cardboard to create unbelievable-lookng modern furniture. The second thought is how strong the material can be made. My wife just bought us a new HDTV. When I threw out the box, I couldn't believe how strong the box was.THe cardboard maker must have compressed the inner corrugations. I'm sure I could have placed the HDV on 2 layers of the material and the layers would easily have been able to hold up the TV with minimal sagging.

Corrugated cardboard is truly a great invention of the 20th century.

Have a nice day,

Stacey Bindman