Sunday, April 1, 2012

More Hubley Racer Restoration - Almost There!

Sunday, April 1, 2012


More Hubley Racer Restoration-
We're almost There

     Fortunately, I had some spare time to continue the restoration on the Hubley # 5 racers. Our friend Katerie took my wife out for her birthday, which is tomorrow. It's also overcast and about 41 degrees Fahrenheit or 5 degrees Celcius, so  I'm off the hook for spring chores!

     The toys are looking better and better, as you'll see below.

Here are the 3 plated race car drivers.
I'm going to remove the grey paint from the left one, 
and use steel wool to remove the rust from the other 2.

This is Lepage's "Epoxy Steel" Glue. 

An autobody car shop owner near me recommended this, so if it's good for the big cars, I thought I'd give it a try for the "small guys".

I'll list the weaknesses with this product, but overall so far, it's the best glue that I've ever used.
I can't remember how many times that I used Crazy Glue and it never glued. It did do a great job on glued my eyelid shut one time however!

Weaknesses

1. The glue comes with 2 separate liquids that come out as you press the plunger down.
One liquid came out mote than the other.

2. The "neck" where you place you're fingers to grasp the plunger (syringe) is not wide enough on each side.

You have to work extra hard to make the liquids come out!

3. The 2 liquids when mixed together will still run or fall due to gravity, even though
 these 2 liquids are stickier and thicker than the thickest molasses

I guess the solution would be to build up layers at a time.

4. It's not very easy to shape it. It's worse than a fly getting caught on flypaper if you are old enough to remember those "traps".

Strengths

1. Low vapour (gas) smells

2. Very hard after a short time of curing (drying)

3. A glue that actually works!




Close-up of the glue application to the red racer

I only added the epoxy glue to the axle loops that were broken off.

I think that an "expert" would place a small plastic cylinder where the glue goes.
He/she could then leave it there to push the axle through, or simply cut it out, and then 
push the axle through it.

What I'm going to do is to use my Dremel high-speed drill head and carve down the material.
I had thought that I could twist the axle to then let it rotagte. However this glue is super strong, and the glue and axle have stuck together. The rubber wheels though do rotate freely.

I made 1 error in having 1 axle too much on 1 side. As a result the rubber tire is very tight against the raver body!




HA view of the 2 cars with their respective race car drivers.

The Green Hubley # 5 Racer

The Red Hubley # 5 Racer

Notice the chipped-off paint on the red car.
I'll use a small brush to spot those chips.

You really need to take care and let nature and air dry out the the paint and epoxy glues. 
With enough time, the paint will stick better! 

Thanks for dropping by, and 
to all, have a pleasant remainder of the day or night, 
wherever you may be.

No comments: