Friday, August 9, 2013

A Nice Grouping of Popeye Toys

Friday, August 9, 2013


A Nice Grouping of Popeye Toys

  Two days ago, I had presented some  examples of Buddy L toys in almost-pristene condition from James D. Julia. I also had seen a nice grouping of Popeye toys that I catalogued away in my head. So today, here' a nice presentation of Popeye (the sailor man). Popeye is a famous cartoon character from King Features Syndicate, although not as popular as he once was.  You have to remember that back in the 1920's-1950's kids and people did not have as muse amusement as today, Newspapers were still popular and the main line of news for people. TV was just coming in and eventually would go to colour. Children had no smart phones, digital tablets, their own TV's,or computers. And moreover,they actually played outdoors, by themselves when times were a lot different, and parents could not worry about the dangers outside of the house and view.

I left the photo as they were taken by James D. Jules excellent photographers. I did in fact clean oner up against a white background, but I decided to leave the photos as is.  What I also noticed earlier in the week when I posted the Buddy L trucks is that the photos are quite large, and you should to directly to the Julia site afterwards to view the images. There, the images are large, and although just 72 dpi ( I shrink then to half their size and show them at 144 dpi), they will appear better in their original format.









All of the above toys were made by LineMar, while those below are a variety of manufacturers, including LineMar. I spelled LineMar as you see it, but there are variations to the spelling. Even the front box cover has two variations.







One thing for sure is the fabulous colour of all of these toys. Of course, what I am always wanting to know is did they toys ever get played with? They're always in such great condition!

Popeye is not as popular as he once was, but I can tell you that I've never eaten so much spinach in this new century as before, There are just so many variations out there, and this vegetable is the "new" green in many restaurant salads, and at our home. 

Popeye does live on every time I have salad!

Thanks for dropping by,
and  as always,
have a great part of the day or night.

Stacey
toysearcher@gmail.com


No comments: