Friday, February 20, 2015

Copake Auctions' "Other" Modes of Transportation Listings

Friday, February 20, 2015
Overcast with flurries and very,very cold

Copake Auctions "Other"
Modes of Transportation Listings

   Hello everyone. No, I haven't stooped blogging. I'm blogging less because I'm been busy with some other things. Also this winter, and especially the month of February, has been exceptionally cold. I was thinking that this could be a record month of continuous minus 10 degrees Celsius, and it just might be. There was even one day where I didn't even go to Tim Horton's (now owned by Burger King). I go there daily for my coffee and to meet several friends to chat.

   Of course, spring is coming "eventually, and with that more auctions and being able to stay outdoors for more than 10 minutes to walls our dog Buddy. Buddy doesn't seem to mind the cold, and when it stays,he's in "seventh heaven". As for writing today,and more to com,e  in the upcoming days and weeks, I am returning to one of my favourite auctioneers of antique bicycles (and other things) - Copake Auctions.


   I can't remember how I came to discover this fabulous auction company, but I did. It was one of those "Eureka Moments", when you stop everything to savour the moment. Copake Auction Inc. at that moment in time had old toys, but their big attraction was exceptional rare and antique bicycles. I've written about Copake Auction Inc. sometimes exclusively about bicycles, and if you like bicycles and rare bicycles, this is one auctioneer you absolutely and positively must visit! Simply do a search on my blog for "Copake", and you will find the posts.

This first presentation is a marvellous children's pull toy wagon.
It's beautifully designed after the Art Deco style, and it's simplicity contrasted with its' lines makes for a wonderful collectible.


I like how Copake Auction adds reference items (The Coke Can) to illustrate the relative size of their items. In other cases, they might use a coin, or  a closely-cropped person (his side) as a reference to an item or toy.

Their photography is excellent of course, and these toys certainly "pop out off the page".
What'st interesting for today's post is that all of these toys are quite large. It's the first time where I decided to use M (meter) as the symbol) for the European length. Most of the time I use mm.

These are "bigger" toys!

I like wood and anything wooden will attract my attention.  Below is another simply-crafted toy,
but elegant in its design and the beautiful colour theme.



What attracted me to this toy is the rear wheels of the engine. The rear wheels are paired and I haven't seen that very often, if at all. THey remind me of those half-track dessert army trucks.

 There is not much information presented about today's toys. 
What's interesting about the Keystone label is the location of the company - 
Boston 24. Mass.  U.S.A

American "ZIP Codes" were introduced in the both century, but the 2 digit ones (24) were only introduced probably between 1930-1950. I'll have to check to be more specific about he time period.
I do remember here in Montreal, when Canada introduced area coded - but ours single digit. It was in the early 1960's when I still lived in Outremont, and the are code was: 
Outremont 8, Montreal, 
Quebec, Canada.

For those who don't know, The Keystone MFG. CO.  was also in the photographic business. I actually remember them when they advertises in the Sunday NYTimes newspaper, 
and of course in the photography magazines.

Here's another fine wooden toy that a child could probably ride on.
Again, it's the simplicity of the toy that attracted my attention. Of course, I did mention that I like wood. In the wood toys presented today, there are no knots in the wood, and the pieces are mostly one piece (no laminates or composites). When I visit Old Montreal (The 400-500 year old part of town), I am in awe of the simple 30 foot ceiling beams. And when I watch period British movies, I',m always looking at those old wooden floors with 30 foot single piece lengths of wood flooring!


Here's a new company that I discovered - the Rifton toy company of Rifton, New York, U.S.A.
I only found 1 other toy on Liveauctioneers that they manufactured. You'll have to visit there as this toy was noir from someone whose permission I have to use their photos.

I did some photo-editing on the photo below, bout I left the interesting flag in the back, and the blue stripe of the table cloth in the photo. I liked the red, white, and blue American theme here.

The Rifton toy is a ride toy of sorts, and the toop past can be removed. Whast I like are the industrial-quality castors underneath the toy. This toy was meant to be rode and was wall designed for even  older children who might weigh more.  

I do see some knots in this toy, but the main pieces are single wood piece and unknotted.

I also like how the original owner wrote "Jack and Jill" ion the underside of the toy. 


So that's it for this early morning (5:00 A.M.)  
It's going to be very cold and with blowing snow - again!
The good news is that March 22, (the Spring Equinox) is coming soon - 
a mere  30 days or 4 weeks and 2 days!

Thanks for visiting and as always
have a great part of the day or night
wherever you may be,
Stacey Bindman
toysearcher@gmail.com




2 comments:

Unknown said...

Hello,
The Keystone train pictured was produced after 1950. The Boston 24, Mass. first appeared in 1950. This model of train was produced from the 1920's on but the picture is of a later example.
Derrick (collectingkeystone.com)

toysearcher said...

Hi Derrick,

Thanks for your expertise in helping date this toy.
Have a great day,

Stacey