Thursday, June 6, 2013

Toys of Times Past (A Fine Antique Store)

Thursday, June 6, 2013


Toys of Times Past
(A Fine Antique Toy Store)


   I've been looking for the longest time to find a place where the underside of toys are photographed for most of the presentations. This was more important for myself when it comes to mechanical toys
When those specific words are mentioned, the reference is most likely made to old or antique toys move by themselves.  Yesterday, I introduced a nice hill-climber toy from Randy's Toy Shop

   Today, thanks to the owner of a new store I have the pleasure and gratitude to write a post that has each and every toy with its mechanics shown.  His Name is Mr. John Pocius and his store is called is called Toys of Times Past.

   John has been buying and selling toys for 15 years.When I telephoned him to gather some background on him, he sounded very young, and he is. H e was was in the airline industry and them moved on to antique toys. He is  most certainly knowledgeable, and  takes many photographs of each and every item he presents for sale on his site. But for me, as I mentioned in my introduction to today's post, the photograph of the toy's underside is what caught my attention the most.

 Being able for me to now present a post with a photo of a "wind-up mechanical movement" description, or a  "flywheel" now will help people see rather than have to imagine what these mechanics are. I'm sure from John's point of view, as well as potential buyers,  presenting any identifiable markings of  an antique toy helps in the sale. However, Toys of Times Past and for sure Jon Pocius (the owner)  are not going to present a toy for sale that is not shown to its full description and what it in fact it is. Their reputation is beyond reproach and as the famous old expression goes - "honesty is the best policy".

* I'll try and find some Youtube sources later for you, the viewer to see how the actual toys operate.





When John wrote back to my initial letter of introduction, he mentioned this fabulous toy.
I immediately knew that I would present this one first to introduce you to both John and his fine store.

"Scarce, Original, Antique 1895 Lehmann Mechanical Flying Bird Tin Toy with Original Paper Wings. Made in Germany. This is an extremely rare toy as it was made in very low production from only 1895-1896 and has no known EPL number. The mechanism was delicate and easily broken when played with by children. Only a few working specimens are known to have survived. The paper wings are very fragile and there are very few examples left known to still have their original wings. This toy is original and in excellent plus condition. Both wings have been tape repaired from the bottom. The toy works perfectly, when actuated by the drawstring the complicated mechanism achieves an almost life-like flapping of the wings while traveling horizontally on the string. The wings are made of printed pasteboard, are spread & closed by pantograph ribs, while the bird is supported and moved by the chord. Both of the wings are imprinted with the early Lehmann Spindlepress Trademark. The bird's body measures 7.5" long with a wingspan of 11.25" wide. The inventer of the bird was the American author Arthur H. Keller of Durango, CO. Lehmann saw his patent application and got in touch with him immediately. This will make a wonderful rare addition to your collection!"

* WrittenDescription Courtesy of Mr. John Pocius - Toys of Times Past








   When I phoned John, I had a million questions to ask him, but forgot to ask about how this toy actually works. However his photos are so numerous and of high quality, that I'll try and make an "educated guess". Of course,when John reads this, if I am wrong, I asked him to proofread the post. So if I'm wrong, hopefully he will correct me. What I also noticed on his site, is that he posts on Youtube examples of the toys and their movements. I didn't see this particular one, but there are others.

  My "educated guess" goes like this: A child would pull the string through the interior (unseen) of the toy. There some kind of wheels and gears would move the criss-crossed metal parts on the underside of the wings to simulate the bird movement.










A great photo of the mechanical wind-up mechanism.
There are several  irregular rods connected to the gears and wind-up mechanism.  When the spring coil (that stores the energy) is wound and then released, the gears transmit energy to the irregular rods. This then causes the  rear wheel to turn left or right. This then creates the idea that the driver is moving in different directions through "traffic".

That's amazing to me for a toy that was made 110 years ago!



Amos 'n' Andy were a team of famous radio hosts that would do a routine on the radio. Way back then, radio was superbly entertaining, and for everyone, that was the only form of entertainment, especially in rural America. 

If you do a search on the Net for "old radio shows", there is a site or 2 that you can actually download and listen to. These shows were once a source of entertainment, where you would have to listen and use your imagination to project what the story or comedy routine was being transmitted over the "wires".



Just look at all  the detail on this box. The box is almost as interesting as the toy!

I have a funny story. Who ever keeps the box? I was looking at Kijiji  a free posting site to sell things) in Montreal,when I noticed someone looking for an IMac 27" box. I cleaned out my store room in the wintertime, and out went the box. I could have received $ 25.00" for the box!



From this high-camera angle, you can see the  embossed (pressed tin) texture of the black seats.

The wind-up key is located just above the wheel well of the top rear wheel (tire). Notice the large "unwound) spring just below the gears. It's this flat coiled band or wire that will become tight and store the potential energy (stored) before the toy is released to produced movement.

Notice also, that the front wheels turn left or right.


Candice Bergen's father was a famous ventriloquist  live in theatres and on the radio.
For those who don't know, Candice was a fashion model (99% sure) before she got into acting, and even had a successful TV show on American television.

Her father was Edgar Bergen, and I even remember seeing him on TV back in the 1950's and even in the 1960's. He had a range of ventriloquist characters (dummies) that he entertained millions of kids with.



What's of interest here is the fact that the wind-up key is underneath, rather than on the sides as most toys were back then.Also notice the pivotal or swivel wheels at the front. You can also see a bit of the wind-up coil just under the mauve (purple) cover below the key.



This toy was made by the Structo toy company, but should have been named "Indestructo"
Just take a look at the parts and how this toy was put together! 

 It's 93 years old!

Try buying something long-lasting today!




I can't get over just how well-made this toy is.
They could have used it in those Flash Gorden Sci-Fi moves of the 1930's!




   I like those cotter pins in the brass-coloured covers that hold the wheels on the chassis. Notice that there is also one on the underside to the right.Then look at those chiseled teeth of the gears, and the brass-coloured (might even be brass) unwound coil. They certainly made toys well way back then!

   So that's it for today. I'd like to personally thank Mr. John Pocius, for allowing me the use of his photos and description of the first toy and others today. Finding new people who help me out on my blog is also a warm and heartfelt feeling for me, and I ;m glad to be able to share these peoples stories and their fine antique toys with you.

Thanks for dropping by,

and as always,
have a great part of the day,
wherever you may be.

Stacey



















No comments: