Sunday, May 12, 2013

There were 7,836 Listings of What on LiveAuctioneers?

Sunday, May 21, 2013


There Were 7, 836 Listings of What on LiveAuctioneers?
(Cast Iron Doorstops)

   I've always wanted to post about cast iron doorstops. I know, I know, that they don't fit into antique toys. But after 2 ++ years of writing this blog, and seeing these marvellous items, I just had to write about them.

  Naturally, I have to add a few "quirky" ideas as I sometimes have. The first question of course is- "was wood construction so weak way back then, tat the houses and doors always weren't plumb (Straight and ;levelled) causing everyone to need doorstops to keep the doors from closing? Secondly, in all those vintage movies made about the 1900's-1940's has anyone ever seen a doorstop in a movie? And what about the British? Did those rich Lords have doorstops when all of their servants were on a tea break, or were their castles made so well, they simply didn't need doorstops?

  Just 2 more "quirks" before I get to the topic. The next time you watch a movie on TV or in the cinema, take a loot at the bottom of the door. The door always seems to have a space underneath, where you can see the light coming in front the outside. Have you ever noticed this? And finally, the magnificent doors of the Newport Mansions. One of the Newport Mansions (Rhode Island., USA) had a pair of massive pair of  brass or cast iron doors with glass. I remember the tour guide saying that each door weighed close to 1000 pounds or more, yet you could move them with a few fingers . Talk about how finely-balanced these doors were made and adjusted! 

Now to the Topic of Cast Iron Doorstops

   I've seen doorstops ever since since I started to write about old toys. If they weren't so expensive to buy, I'd place them in our garden, since they would make beautiful garden fixtures. In my brief studying of these items, I noticed several things. FIrst,most were made of cast iron, but for one that was made of pot metal. Pot metal or "monkey metal", white metal, or die-cast zinc is a term that refers to a mixtures of inexpensive metals used to form alloys for casting. These metals melt at low temperatures (compared to iron) and are inexpensive, hence their use for less-expensive products. The main long-term problem with these alloys is that they can react with the air and become brittle. In fact, I had 1 toy once come to me broken n 100 pieces. The sender had poorly-packaged the item,and it arrived as a total disaster!
















   The final doorstop is just beautiful. I just adore the contrast of the bales with its black straps compared with the gentleman's pant stripes. His crossed feet, hand posing, and stirring his coffee is just a marvellous example of "an instant frozen in time". Miraculously, this piece has lasted so long considering it is the one made from pot metal.

A Few Closing Notes

  Doorstops were made with some variations. Some had their back finished, while others were simply the empty space and recess of the casting.  Some also had rubber backings so that I would assume the doors did not get marred (scratched) by the sheer weight of the doorstop. The sheer number of items that I found just on Liveauctioneers says lots about how many of these items there once were made.What's also interesting is how many different doorstops were made by each company. People,animals, flowers, and many other categories were made - almost something for everyone. What's also interesting today, is that for these beautiful items still are inhigh demand and have received great prices at auction.

  For sure, I'm going to have to add another post or two!

** I forgot to write about  "Fish" - an English Designer for Hubley of some their more interesting period doorstops. I'll be adding that tomorrow.


Thanks for dropping by,

and as always,
have a great part of the day, 
wherever you may be.
Stacey

No comments: