Saturday, January 21, 2012

Beware of Fakes!

Sunday, January 22, 2012


Beware of Fakes
or
All That Glitters is Not Gold
or
If it's Too Good to be True, it's a Fake

   I purchased the item below, knowing 90% that is wasn't authentic.  I would have liked the bidding to be lower,but I eventually purchased the item at $ 76.00 + shipping ($20.00) + Canada Customs decided to tax me $20.00 - all in US Dollars. I'll probably end up losing money selling it, but that's part of writing a high-quality blog!

    So why would I purchase a fake? The "real" Hubley Cast Iron Taxi , circa 1930's sells for anywhere from $ 500.00 - $ 900.00, which is beyond my budget limit. The "fake" looks like the real one, but you have to study the fake carefully to know the difference.

    * I'm analyzing the fake just from what I could find from photos on the Net and also form several antique books that I have. If there is a reader out there who has the "real one", would you please send me photos and corroborate (confirm) my analysis of the "fake". That would help everyone a great deal.





There's no doubt that this fake toy is beautiful! 
It measures 7 1/2" (L) x 3" (W) x 2 3/4" (H)
or in metric
190mm (L) x 78 mm (W) x 70mm (H).

So what are my findings to which I would call this lovely toy a fake?

1. Incorrect tires

These tires are not the rubber that came on the "real" Hubley.
If they were, the rubber tires would have been cracked or melted or both.

2. The original Hubley came with wooden rims. The one above is metal.

3.The axle on the original Hubley has a rounded end to it.
This fake looks like a long nail that was cut off at both ends!


The screw holding the undercarriage (chassis) with the upper frame is:

1. A modern-machined screw, not one from 80 years ago
2. The screw is not rusted


A closer view of the wrong screw on the fake toy


The "Yellow Cab" Writing

 On authentic (real) Hubley Taxis, the writing is:

1. Solid black
2. Transferred from a decal 
3. Is not hand-written
4. Is black, not dark red!

Rust

1.FOr an 80year-old toy, there is hardly any rust. An older toy would have been played with much more and shown more rust.


Another view showing very little rust!

The stamp number is there.

1.However, the cast iron casting is very "rough" compared with authentic Hubley castings which are smoother.

The Paint

1. Paint from Hubley toys of 80 years ago is thicker, smoother, and has better overall coverage.
It also lasted longer!

2. The horizontal line on the side of the authentic Hubley Taxi  is:

a. Black and not dark red, as well as the lack of pigment to make a sold black line.
b.The line is thin on the fake compared with thicker lines on the "real" one.


An Authentic Hubley Taxi 
(Beautifully Photographed)

Photo Courtesy of Mr. John Morphy
http://www.morphyauctions.com/

* If you visit this site, you'l be able to see rarer antique toys
that are well-photographed.




A Real" Hubley Cast Iron Airflow
This is the closest item I have to the fake Hubley Taxi.
The tires, rims, and axles are replacements, but proper replacement parts!

So, if someone out there has the "real item", I would be very pleased if you would send me photos and help confirm my suspicion of the fake!

Have a nice restful morning, afternoon, or evening,
wherever you may be.

My e-Mail address is majortrout@hotmail.com
and My name is (Mr.) Stacey Bindman












No comments: