Tuesday, November 22, 2011

Have you ever Seen a Grown Man Cry ?

Wednesday, November 23, 2011

Have You Ever Seen a Grown Man Cry?
(Combined with that's why they pay photographers what they do!)
   
     First and foremost, I'd like to thank the super-talented scriptwriters who came up with that phrase for the famous Crown Royal Whiskey Ads of the 1970's. In the ad,  there is a smashed to bits bottle with the whiskey sloshed all over a wooden floor, and a shovel to collect the "waste". Being a photographer, I remembered this ad distinctly as if it was presented in a magazine of  Christmas 2011.

   To get back on track, how does that today's title relate to what I'm writing about? I like to provide finished toys for sale on E-Bay. The item that I'll talk about came to me missing the rear axle, wheels, and rubber tires. So naturally, I decided to add them, since I had some in stock.  

   I keep forgetting that these toys are 80 years old! When the pour of molten metal into the cast was done way back then, the purity of the metal was not as it might be today.  Consequently, over time, impurities make the metal react over time and it weakend. Also, the actual thickness of the piarts can be only 1-2 mm (1/64").

   Lo and behold, I'm adding the pieces, and I realize that the axle isn't holding on 1 side. I see a small piece, and the next thing I realize is that I broke a part off! Have you ever seen a grown man cry?

Here's Why You Pay a Professional Photographer
What You Do!

   High-end professional  photographers still earn great salaries, but it's the very good to average that were suffering when digital cameras first came out. Small business bosses and management figured that their son or daughter or even the salesman could take a photo just like a pro. No Way !

   As a result, I watched local photography nosedive to amateur levels that I would only expect from my first year students! Weddings became "snapshops", or "candids" and soon Auntie Jane and Sister Stephanie were photographing weddings. John the salesman was photographing "widgets" for XYZ company, and  photographers were being asked to take less for their skills.

   In the last 5 years though, high-end photography is making a return. 

The local business people of smaller-sized companies are realizing 2 things:

1. Everyone has to be on Twitter, Linked-In, YouTube, or  some other site
2. Your photography is going to be seen by everyone and it better be good!

    So my instalment today, is about what a photographer (myself) would see in a series of photographs to explain how to replace an axle, tires, and wheels on a toy.


This super toy, A Tootsietoy Die Cast Mack 1930's Truck & Cab arrived today.
It's missing the rear set of tires, axle, and rims. 

The "Have you ever seen a grown man cry shot".
That's hot glue that applied. There goes some of the profit! 

Here's the photography and explanations

The blue writing informs you why you pay a photographer what you do

Image 1:
The parts

1. The penny is placed in the photo as a reference to size
2. The penny is too 2D. I'm going to elevate it to the camera for 3D

Image 2:

1. A small piece of cardboard, or anything small placed behind the penny will elevate it.

Image 3:

1. The penny is raised


Image 4:

1. The axles are rearranged for better composition or more interesting pattern for the viewer's eye to move around.

Image 5:

1. I rearranged the composition

2. The tubular portion holds the 2 axles (1 for each wheel) together.
This is much easier to use as a replacement than figuring out how to crimp or hammer the end of a 1 piece axle.

Notice how I presented the slit in the tubular shaft to the viewer. 
This piece expands to accomodate the axles, but if it's loose it can be crimped with a small pair of pliers.




Image 6

1. Retouching 

Normally I would use one of those sticky rollers to pick up the lint, but I was ruches and knew I could "Photoshop" the lint.

 Today's photographer not only has to photograph items, but if he or the company is working with a printer, the company may ask him to have proof-ready photos for the printer.



Image 5:

Notice how all of the lint has been removed



Image 6:

1. The cardboard moved and so it's seen behind the penny. 
I'll "Photoshop" it!

2. The penny is lacklustre or missing a nice shine to it.

Image 6:

1. The lighting was adjusted to give a nice "highlight" or lustre to the penny

2. I lightened up the whole photo.

3. I darkened the tires


Image 7:

The end.......
(Boo-hoo, Boo-hoo, Boo-hoo)

The replacement parts are installed, and the item will be listed either when E-Bay next offers those 1 cent or free listings, or the beginning of the month arrives.






   

No comments: