Monday, August 22, 2011

"My Publisher" Software - Making your own Book

August 22, 2011
My Publisher 
Software  for Creating Your Own Books

With special thanks to  Maggie McKemie of My Publisher for allowing 
me to use screen capture images of their fine publishing software - My Publisher.
     
      I've seen the results of self-publishing software, but never considered it myself. However, after having tried a few of the wonderful softwares provided by companies like My Publisher, I thought I'd try out the software. I'll most likely actually make a book in the near future.

     I used to write books for my course when I taught professional photography. At the time, I used publishing software such as InDesign by Adobe, and QuarkXPress. Initially the learning curve was steep,but once you work with any program for a while, you get to learn the software quite well. Also, like most software programs, I only used probably about 20-30% of the program with the features that I need. Luckily, as a  teacher, I was able to purchase these programs at a discounted price.

     When I first tried My Publisher, I couldn't believe how easy it was to use. The program is quite easy, even if you select to publish your own design, rather than follow a simpler suggested book design from My Publisher. Also, it had many of the features of the more expensive publishing software that I previously mentioned.


   However, I would have to say that it was probably "easy" as I spend a fair amount of time on my computer using different programs. AS such, it's like driving different cars. Once you can drive 1 car, you most likely will be able to drive another with some additional learning for the accessories.

     Since this blog is mostly about old toys, I might as well illustrate the features of My Publisher with old toy photos. So let's get started and I'll present you (the reader) with this fantastic resource.

Step 1: Gathering Photographs
In the first step, you gather your photograph.
You can re-size your images when you use the software, but I would suggest that you do all your image preparation (size, colour-balance, and image-editting software features beforehand).



The screen capture below shows you the place where your photos are collected.
You can arrange their position, add more or remove some during the process.
Also, as with all programs, you can save and come back to the book later on.



Step 2: The Book Cover
Below is the book cover.
You'll select and place your feature photo on the cover, as well as the text.

I would suggest that before you start your book that you go to the My Publisher site and have a look at sample books. If you prefer, go to your local Barnes and Noble and browse books on any subject or your subject that you have in mind. There are "rules" to follow in publishing, but since you most likely are making a book for a select few, this does not really matter. Also, My Publisher does a very good job with such areas as space use, proportion of text: photos, design, layout, print style, and so forth.



Here's the beginning of my book.
The cover photo is nice, but my text looks blah.
My Publisher allows you to change this very easily.



Something a bit more exciting.
Orange is opposite of blue on the colour wheel, and the font looks a old-fashioned.
I forgot to add my name, but that can always be corrected later.







Step 3: The Page Layout
Below is a screen capture of page layout choices.
There certainly are plenty of choices to select from. However,  a good idea is to work with a few, so that your book does not become too busy, and the style detracts from the content.




Step 4: Make the Book
I chose the simpler method that My Publisher offers the writer.
The program will automatically build the book page by page.
The order of your photos should be positioned before you create the book. However, as with al programs, you can change anything at any time.* I haven't used this program long enough, but I would think that what I just said was correct.

This is my page 1.
It's OK, but what about a change of the background colour?


By clicking on the "background" icon, a menu comes up.
I chose the warm-toned salmon colour.

Step 4: Make the Book - Auto Book
This step allows My Publisher to automatically place your selected photos on the number of pages that you've pre-selected for the book. You'll notice that the photo on the page below is too large, and didn't fit the pre-set photo box. Remember when I told toy that it would be a good idea to edit your photos before you start the book? What happened is that I didn't! So this photo was much too large in size (file size) to fit the smaller-sized page photo frame.




However, the program was carefully designed to predict that this would happen; that is to say, that people would simply choose their photos without any pre-thought to their consistent size. What you can do is simply re-size the photo with a command.
By sliding the zoom command to -, you can reduce the photo to fit the frame.
Or. if you don't like the frame size, you can always resize the frame!


Below the Photo was resized to fit the picture frame.


If you ever have a problem, you can always use the help menu.
However, in the lower right hand corner of the software window is an icon titled "Chat".
This most-likely will allow you to chat with someone to ask a question or figure out a problem that you might be having.

However, you have to be using either Firefox or Internet Explorer as your Internet connection.
"Requires Firefox or MS Internet Explorer 5.0 (or later). Cookies must be enabled."



I prefer larger-sized photos.
So with 1 command, I changed the size of the picture frame, allowing me to make have a larger photo on the page.

But wait! Who Knows what the toy is that I'm showing?
So, change the page again to add type or text (writing).


In this image, I've skipped a couple of steps.
I clicked the text box icon where the arrow is pointing to.
I resized and repositioned the text box.
I then typed in the description.


Still not to my liking!
The background could use a colour.
You can change the colour when these 2 small menu windows are on the screen.
Also, you can even add your own photo (Pick a file).



Here's is my final choice.
Of course, I could easily change it tomorrow!


Obviously, I've just touched the surface of this program.
I'll give everyone a rest, and will continue with part 2 tomorrow.

To Be Continued......

No comments: