Saturday, June 11, 2011

An Alternative to Paint Removal by Non-Stripping Chemicals

June 11, 2011


A Set of Primed Tootsietoy and Manoil Toys


I buy and sell toys on E-Bay, and hope to get out to the neighbouring areas this summer to see if I can buy and sell via the non E-Bay route. 

 The antique toy market is very slow, and could be attributed perhaps to the terrible US and world economies, and perhaps to a younger generation who have other hobbies to keep them occupied.

I just finished paint-stripping and priming the toys above with paint stripper.
It's a messy job, and even though I used many pairs of gloves (non -latex), I still managed to chafe my fingertips!  I was trying the non-latex gloves as an alternative to the latex because 
the paint stripper is corrosive, and easily eats through the glove in about 5-10 minutes!



To  strip any of the toys above, which average 
about 5 inches (125mm) in length x 2 inches (50mm) high x 2.5 inches (62 mm) wide in size, takes about 30-45 minutes.


So today, I decided to go with the Dremel high-speed machine. I figured I'd give my fingertips time to heal and regenerate some new tissue. It's a tool that has many different heads for use at the smaller-sized level. Hobbyists use it for all sorts of uses, and it can be used wherever micro tools are needed. It also has variable speeds from 100-35,000 rpm's. There are alternatives to the Dremel, so by all means have a look at what is available.

The Dremel Model # 4000 and 3 wire-head brushes


Protective Items and Some Paint Removal Items

1. Non-Latex Gloves: To keep the paint flakes off your hands. Remember that most of these toys are pre-1950 and most-likely are lead-based. Lead has been shown to be damaging to people's health!
Also they're a barrier to the steel wool particulates that come off when abrading a surface.

2. Kebob Skewers - Use them to "dig out" paint where you cannot reach with the Dremel.

2. Steel Wool: Use the Kebob Skewers as heads with small bits of steel wool.
The skewer heads and steel wool can be used where small spots can't be reached with the Dremel.

3. Face Mask: To avoid breathing  in grinding lead-based paint particulates or steel wool particulates.

4. Magnifying Glasses ( I'm 62, so you know why I need them!). Also they're good if you are really determined to do a super,super job!

5. Protective Glasses: I use these over the magnifying glasses. I only have 2 eyes and want to make sure that nothing from the drill flies into them!

Knife and BBQ Skewer Kebob Sticks

Purposely Broken and Cut Kebob Skewers

Start with the pointed ends of the skewers for hard to get corners. After, you can cut or break the skewers in half, and then split the end into rough ends. This end can then be used to abrade and dig out those hard to reach places.


Today's "experiment" worked well. It took about the same time as the chemical stripping technique.

I would just add the following to my summary:

1. Use a large piece of  cardboard or newspaper to catch the paint particulates.

2. Be careful that your gloves do not get caught in the spinning head of the machine!

3. Always dispose of the lead-based particles in your local poisonous and hazardous waste municipal drop -off location

4. As the machine and its' heads remove paint, it simultaneously smooths out the surfaces of the metallic toys. You may have to use a # 400 sandpaper to abrade the surfaces, so that the primer will adhere to the toys better.


Once the paint has been removed to your satisfaction, you can then abrade the surfaces (see above), prime, and then paint.


Thanks for visiting, and I welcome any comments, suggestions, or even topics to write about.

Also, if you want to share your experiences, please drop me a line and I'll be glad to add you to one of my blog instalments.












3 comments:

Lead Based Paint Removal said...

Great job and thanks for sharing the pictures.

toysearcher said...

You're more than welcome, and thanks for reading my blog.

Stacey

Anonymous said...

What kind of paint and primer do you use?