Monday, March 28, 2011

The Hubley Racer #5 - Circa 1906

March 28, 2011


My article today has to do with the Hubley cast iron racer which was manufactured about 1906. I finally was able to purchase one for a good price. Currently (Late 2010 and first quarter of 2011) the toy market on E-Bay is terrible. For the more common toys, selling is "the pits". For higher-end items, there seems to be good responses.

Anyway, this is a really nice item to  have, although I'll be selling it on E-Bay. If someone out there knows for sure that this is the "real thing" please tell me. I know that some old cast iron toys have hammered rivets at both ends to keep the 2 halves of the toy together. This one has screws, and holes where the screws go.

What's nice about this is that it's similar to the other Hubley racer that I mentioned in another article. This one is more interesting, because you can open up both engine covers (is this still called a "hood?") to see the engine.

I'll let the photos illustrate the attraction that I have for this toy.








I usually forget to inform people of the size of the item that I am selling on e-Bay. 
For your information the dimensions are:

9 1/2" (L) x 3 1/4" (W) wheelbase) x 3 1/2" (H)
Weight between 3-4 pounds (I have to get a postal scale!) estimated

2 comments:

Mark Busacca said...

From Busacca Gallery. You have been invited by Mark Busacca to join our new group. To join, please follow the link below: Thank you.

My job is to reach a specified targeted art market, as I'm striving to provide artists, designers, dealers and collectors a platform to share both their stories and art as a hand-picked working consortium. In a word, Aficionados. Please, Take a look at these links.

The Hottest ART & NEWS Today On FaceBook! Top World Art Picks ! Join Us

http://www.facebook.com/pages/Art-Curated-Postings-For-World-Collectors-BusaccaGallerycom/162223507151876


Many thanks! Warm Regards, Mark Busacca, Curator, CEO & Founder - Edited Consignment Art http://www.BusaccaGallery.com

toysearcher said...

Hello Mark,

I'm not quite sure what your message is, but if you want my connection just to have people find your site through mine, that's not a proble,.

Stacey