Friday, May 9, 2014

Another Fine Merchant on icollect247

Friday, May 9, 2014
    Cloudy with rain forecast


Another Fine Merchant 
on icollector247

   Mr. Clay Smith is the second person from icollect247.com who has allowed me write about him and of course his items for sale. earlier in the week, I briefly introduced icollect.247 as I presented Irene Davis who is the webmaster and I'm sure much more in germs of hard work and motivation to promote this great site.

   I had discovered icollect247.com totally by accident while doing an image search on Google.  While I was  searching for more hill climber toys, I saw a nice image that was on  the icollect247 site,and there I went. It's a website that sells antiques of all kinds, and, of course old and antique toys.



    What's interesting about Clay's own website and collector is that they both are more than just places to buy old toys. There are interesting links to information and upcoming shows such as the Brimfield Antique & Collectibles Shows. So if you want to know more about places to find toys or learn about them then these 2 sites are very good resources.

  When I came to the Das Bulli Haus on icollect247.com, I immediately know what I'd write for today's post - hill climbers. I'd just write a post about a nice hill climber from  Randy's toy Shop (May 5, 2014), and was still looking for more of these toys. For those who don't know what a "hill climber" toy is, it's a toy with a friction wheel. You move the toy forward  (or I assume backward) on a surface, and a heavy duty wheel picks up the energy from your push. As you continue to move the toy, more and more energy accumulates, and the noise of the wheel whines stronger and after. When you release the toy, it moves. The friction wheel is vert strong and thus can transfer lots of energy to the wheels of any toy. As such , these toys easily move uphill - hence the term "hill climber:.


The photo immediately above is a great example of the friction wheel.


What surprises me about most of these specific "hill climbers" is that they are not expensive for such old toys.  ALso, if you look closely, you'll see that they were made both of wood and metal (tin).

When you enlarge this image, you'll be better able to see the writing, especially the Nov. 1, 1897.


Although this toy needs some work, it certainly is a beautiful-looking toy.


Certainly beautiful colours. 

The description above is noteworthy, for the fax that many of these very specific 
toys (Hill climbers) were made in 1 place - Dayton, Ohio, U.S.A. 

 The right rear wheel shows you  how the energy from the large friction wheel 
would transfer via a smaller wheel to the actual vehicle wheel.

In the above photo, the transfer of energy from the friction wheel is to the rear left toy wheel. If you look closely, you can see a smaller brass-coloured wheel inside  the wheel (9:00 o'clock position ) and that transfers its energy to a larger inner geared surface of the toy.
 What';s also interesting is the use of the primary colours red and green in many of the toys, and as I also mentioned the combination wood and metal materials. The above toy is missing a few parts that could easily be found on the Net. When complete that certainly would make a nice piece to showcase on anyone's mantle.


Now that I have both Clay Smith and Irene Davis as posts and their help,
 I'll be able to write about icollector247.com.As you can see, I'm always looking ahead to the next post.  When you write almost daily,you have to be 2 steps ahead of your readers who like to visit daily!

Now all I would like is about 1,000,000 more readers/day!
( I can daydream, can't I?).

Thanks for dropping by,
and as always,
have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be.
Stacey
toysearcher@gmail.com


No comments: