Wednesday, May 14, 2014

A Superbly Engineered Bing Mobile Crane of 1920

Wednesday, May 14, 2014
               Cool and cloudy, 
         changing to rain and hot

A Superbly Engineered Bing Mobile Crane
of 1920

   I always like to visit Opamerica's fine store on ebay. I never know what I'll see,but I always know there will be some rare and exciting toy to marvel at. And I wasn't disappointed when I saw today's Bing crane.

Rare 1920's Large Bing Steel Tower Crane Germany 22x33

I am pleased to offer this Antique 1920's Bing Large Pressed Steel Metal Toy Tower Crane that features a maroon exterior throughout, a four-wheeled base, turn crank (s), horizontal jib with lock lever, and claw piece marked by Bing, Bavaria. Two cranks turn to either rotate the crane or move the jib back and forth; base wheels roll well across flat surfaces. There is another rope type crank in the middle (no rope present). May show paint wear, marks, patina, and oxidation from use and age overall. Slight dent present on one end of the crane from previous use. Sturdy condition.

A fantastic and rare antique toy!

Measurements: approx. base 14-1/2" inches long x 10-1/2" inches wide; 22" inches tall x 33" inches wide. 

* Description Courtesy of Opamerica




   I used Opamerica's written description because  the amount of writing would be too much in proportion to the size of the first photo. AS well, I decided to leave the photos show without any distractions,except for m usual copyright and company logo placement.

  For my European readers, the size of this toy is:

Base:     368 mm (length) x 268 mm (width)
Height:      559 mm
Width:     838 mm

This certainly is a large toy, and I can;t even imagine the lifting power of such a machine.
Children of the time much have had lots of fun - for sure! I tried to find illustrations of this crane in my 1912 Bing catalogue, but couldn't. By the way, this particular toy was produced in 1920.

 There are several several wheels that are used to lift and turn the bucket, but as the description describes, one set of ropes is missing. This could easily be added and restrung. 

I like how the design of the boom  looks quite similar to today's  immobile location building
cranes. In modern Europe, these building crane as we see today in North America was used much earlier on before it came to North America.



A close-up of the Bing name and logo on the side of the bucket.

I especially like this link chain that looks like brass.

The top lever has a lock to keep the bucket fixed in one position.
In the unlocked position, I assume that the bucket moved back and forth along 
the horizontal crane boom.

I'm unsure what the bottom wheel is for.

The lower handle on the left, has an auger-syle gearing that  connects to a circular gearing wheel. This allows for the entire crane  tower and crane to rotate in a 360 degree circle.

As you can see, this toy has certainly stood the test of time, having been made in 1920 - 

Wunderbar 
(Wonderful in English)

It's time for me to do some more spring chores - gardening and mowing. I hope that it rains as fore case, because the lawn (my task) is my responsibility. The garden flowers are my wife Heidi's "exclusivity".


Thanks for dropping by,
and , as always,
have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be,
Stacey
toysearcher@gmail.com






5 comments:

Unknown said...

I have just acquired one of these cranes but am missing the clamshell grab if anyone can help me find one cheers Duncan

Unknown said...

Hi Duncan, I've found one of the cranes in complete condition. I'll see if the current owner has a clamshell bucket.
What did you pay for your crane?

Best wishes
Tod Putnam

Prima Donna said...

Hi. I have recently attempted to restore one of these cranes and have done my best at figuring out how to string it and have improvised a counterweight to operate the grab action but was hoping to find out / see how and with what it was originally done. Does anybody know of one in original complete condition or have access to an original instruction booklet or brochure with photos or drawings? Also, the worm gear appears worn so that the crane no longer rotates. Is there any way of repairing it without making a new drive shaft? Any information would be very gratefully received! Thank you! Phil

Autolinkqatar said...

I am very much pleased with the post. I want to thank you for this great article. I enjoyed every little bit part of it and I will be waiting for the new updates.
click here

Prima Donna said...

Hi.
Just wondering if anybody had figured out a way to separate the main trunk of the crane from the rolling frame. I need to look at how the cog on the rotating system is seated to line it up better with the winder, and see if I can bring the winder in a bit closer, which I feel might be a lot easier if it is dismantled and less likely to cause any damage. As it is it won't spin very well - it slips except for about 30* and will only turn anti-clockwise - seems to be snagging on something, possibly under the cog........
Any help or pointers very gratefully received!
Best wishes and happy new year to y'all!