Saturday, December 1, 2012

The Antique World of Dolls

Saturday, December 1, 2012
           (-10 C or 20 F /  Overcast )
                (How Time Flies!)


The Antique World of Dolls


(please press on the above address to be redirected to the fine site of James D. Julia)

Introduction

   Sooner or later, I would have to have written a post about dolls. With something like 101 males to 100 females, an equal balance of reporting or blogging certainly deserves it. Also dolls, doll houses, doll accessories can be found on any auction site or antique store whenever I am searching for old toys.

   I don't know much about doll collecting, or antique dolls,but I'll just write about what comes to mind. Archaeologists have found dolls in Egyptian Pharaoh tombs, as well as in burial sites around the world (e.g. Peru). In Peru, the high mountainous areas and dry and cold conditions have preserved both bodies and artifacts well,and personal effects and dolls have been found.

   My sister Brenda had a few dolls,but I can't remember much about them. However there was 1 doll that had a string in the back,and when pulled talked. I included a fine set of Black American Dolls. In the 1950's and early 1960's  I never saw a black doll. When were in Mississquoi Bay in the later 1950's for the summer, there was a nice family (Ronny Foote and his wife Ditty, with their 3 sons). As children we grew up without knowing one religion from another or 1 skin tone from another. People were people and we treated them all well.

   I do remember 1961, when we had went to Saint Albans Vermont for the summer, and rented a cottage. That summer was the first commercial with an African American in it. I can't remember what the commercial was about. Also in 1961, there was an afternoon news cast on CBS with Douglas Edwards. Of course at 13, we didn't watch TV much in the summer, but I did see that first TV commercial. 

  I've selected a collection of dolls from 3 different James D. Julia auctions. The Julia company has 4 different divisions of saleable items,with antique toys and dolls being 1 of them. I always try to keep each post exclusive to 1 auction house as a sign of courtesy for the auctioneer. I'm sure that the the outstanding  auction houses that I can use their photos wouldn't mind if I added several to 1 post, but that's what I do for now - 1 post - 1 auction house, or seller, or collector.


Some Notes

    One of my friends at Dunkin Donuts, Caroline who buys and sells all kinds of old items once talked about someone she know who imported dolls from Italy.  He started buying dolls at garage sales,and then successfully expanded his business to high-end dolls. He now goes to Europe, especially to Italy to buy very expensive dolls that he sells here in Canada.

    Some of the dolls in the 3 different  Julia auctions came from France and Germany. What interest me about the dolls are that some have wax faces. Also the garments are majestically sewn, and reflect different eras and times from the past from those countries.

   I haven't included any information, but the 3 auctions that I did select were on:

  1.    November 30, 2012
  2.    June 22, 2012
  3.    May 3, 2011




Above
November 30, 2012



Above
June 22 2012



Above
May 3 2012


     Just as I was about to "sign off", a thought came into my mind. Did I ever have a doll? The question was odd, as I never thought I had a doll. However, I didi have one. My cousin Mel, gave me one when I was about 14. He got married, and I think that was a present for my having been an usher at his wedding. It was an Emmett Kelly doll. Emmett Kelly was a famous circus  performer (clown). I had that doll for about 15-20 years and gave it to a new friend at the time. She is a doctor, and is very interesting. The last time I saw her, she was taking lessons to be a pilot! She had visited a "small people" museum where they had dolls, and also repaired  dolls.  I think Emmett's head had become separated from his body. 

Thanks for Dropping by,

and ahve a great part of the day or evening,
wherever you  ay be.

Stacey











No comments: