Sunday, December 30, 2012

Gas-Powered Toy Racers

Sunday, December 30, 2012


Gas-Powered Toy Racers

     I've only ever seen a gas-powered toy racer once in my lifetime.  It's not that I was looking for them, but where I lived, nobody could afford such a toy. Also, you needed lots of space to let one of these racers run "flat out" (as fast as it can), and in the 1950's-early 1960's, Montreal (Quebec, Canada) was still slow to change. The Town of Mount Royal shopping centre was developed in the late 1950's, and that was the first one in Canada. If you passed by it today, you wouldn't even take notice - it's so small! Highways and side roads were also about to develop in Montreal, so that would also take time.

    Coming back to my only ever seen 1 of these toys in my lifetime - I would say that you don't see these toys first, you hear them! They are very noisy and loud, and once you hear one, you will never forget what it is. Of course, they don't always work 100%, so they need to be pampered. But once they are up and running, they "fly". They are fast!

   When I was buying and selling toys, I would sometimes go to a local hobby store to buy paints and sandpaper, and small files.  I had played senior (Old age guys) baseball with the 2 owner-brothers, so I could chat with them. They must have carried these toys, but all I ever saw when I came into the store were these 3-5 foot (1 - 1.7m)  gas-powered airplanes and helicopters.  Now those are toys I 'd like to play with, even at 64 years "young".

I only am presenting 3 fine toys today, as I'm still not feeling so good, and for some reason one of the symptoms is not being able to sit still and focus. 



As always,  thanks to Bertoia ,I was able to find 3 nice examples of this type of toy. They are not the oldest of toys, but occasionally, you can see old gas-powered toy cars from the 1940's. I have no idea how old these 3 toys are either.



   
   These are definitely toys that need to be supervised by adults, or have older children who have been carefully instructed as to how to carefully play with these toys. I did read in passing that some of theses toy can hit 90 MPH (145 KPH).  So you can see, where you need lots of space to get these toys to perform to their max and to have the length of an empty shopping centre mall or abandoned runway to be able to play with these toys. However, I'm 110% sure, that whomever does have these toys certainly had gotten lots of satisfaction from having played with these fine toys!



Thanks as always for dropping by,
and have  a great part of the day wherever you may be.

Stacey





No comments: