Saturday, November 30, 2013

Toys as They Looked Years Ago

November 30, 2013


Toys as They Looked Years Ago

   Most of the toy catalogues from olden times (pre-1940) are usually in black and white.   The illustrations or photographs also come with written descriptions that include the sizes and colours that the toys come in. But it's always nice to actually a toy, or to see how it appeared so many years ago. When I first started buying and selling toys, I'd occasionally but  a "junker" for a relatively low price (or so I thought), and restore it. Of course, I was no match for the people who had the experience. I purchased models paints and sprays, sandpaper, a Dremel high speed machine, and off I went.  I also contacted toy parts sellers on e-Bay and replaced missing parts. MOst of the time, I was very please with the results,and on some rare occasions, I wasn't. You need to read a lot, and learn the finer techniques and skills to finish a toy properly.

  So today's post is about a son and his father who has spent a fair amount of time perhaps as a hobby to return toys to their original heyday and as they might have looked when they rolled off the toy assembly line.  I found a nice Schieble hillclimber  on ebay that was beautifully restored, and looked at more items from this person. The other listing were also nicely restored. The descriptions were written by Tom and Dessa Ossman.  Many of the toys were restored by Tom's father. I also think some of the toys are were restored by Tom himself. 

  "In the 1960s and 70s my father had an elaborate hobby of restoring old toys.  His primary love was airplanes.  These professionally restored toys have been displayed behind glass or stored in preservation boxes since the 1970s.  I absolutely guarantee them to be restored originals from the 30s and 40s and not reproductions.  Today I try to carry on the tradition of toy restoration with a focus on tin plate antique toy trains.  The need to conserve on space forces me to part with some of these treasures."













I think that the battery-operation was redesigned. I like the brass-coloured spring and screw mechanism that adjusts the pressure on the batteries.That ensures that the batteries will remain firmly in position to supply a nice source of illumination to the headlights.











One of my favourite toys is above - the "Art Deco" style coupe shown in red and blue. If you read Tom's description of some of the listings, you'll read that he applies many coats of paint and finish to get that smooth and shiny lustre to the toys. The shiny metal parts have been highly-polished, and the gas cap is wood (As originally found on these toys).  Tom's father certainly knew what he was doing, and Tom today has acquired the great talent of his father!

It's great to see these toys continue to live on for the next generation of collectors and children alike - and not necessarily in that order.

For all my American readers, I hope you survived Thanksgiving Friday. For my Canadian readers,  
some of you were probably caught up in the "migration" of this event that had now moved north.Of course, I'd bet that the sale is also on for the weekend!

And don't eat too much turkey leftovers!

Thanks for visiting, 
and have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be.
Stacey 
toysearcher@gmail.com






No comments: