Friday, November 1, 2013

The Magnificent Steam Engine Systems of Georges Carette

Friday, November 1, 2013


The Magnificent Steam Engine Systems of 
Georges Carette

   I received an outstanding catalogue reproduction printed by New Cavendish Book.This company prints a cornucopia of outstanding books about collectibles, as well as other types of books. However, old and antique toys is my area. The book I received was printed in 1979, and arrived with a beautiful antique sepia-yellow tone to the pages, as well as the usual musty "old book" odour. I sometimes leave the aged pages "as is",but I cleaned them up today. I sent a note to New Cavendish Books for permission to use their pages,but I haven't heard back from them yet.  Hopefully, they'll allow me the use,and won't ask me to remove the post.


Steam engine toys of the late 19th and early 20th centuries are exceptional machines of a long ago era when toys were modelled after real machines. Before electricity, most machines were powered by water  or by steam. In the case of the toys,the fuel was usually by methylated spirits or  denatured alcohol. I'm sure parents were very protective and cautious about allowing their children to work with these toys.

As you will see, these exceptional machines were not  just toys, but learning tools. Each machine was modelled after their larger cousins that worked in real life. The machine would produce power through a  rotating wheel. That power would then be transferred via what I assume are rope or belts (e.g. rubber coated cotton rope or heavy duty thread) to other moving machines or small human figures in motion at their various crafts.  


These book in excellent condition actually are collectibles. Mine cost about $ 75.00 U.S. plus $ 28.50 shipping from Australia. It's not in mint condition, but I use these books as references.However, a book such as this in excellent condition will fetch a hefty price for someone who does collect books.





This particular model cost 360 at the time. I'm unsure of the monetary unit, but perhaps it's in shillings. Nevertheless, it is one of the most expensive models in the section on steam engines.Of course,there are plenty of choices in the lower price range.


I added this pages because It was pleasantly amusing. I assume for those who didn't have elecgtricity yet, they could run a fan off steam power!


These models are great because they explain how an electrical plant would operate.


The page above shows you the shafts and pulleys that would be attached by a belt to the steam engine.The more powerful the engine,the more power could be transferred. 


"Real" workable machines could be used with the steam engines. I assume a model ship builder would be able to craft his pieces on such machines. If you look at the sentence until the larger-font title, you'll read "Cheap class in japanned tin". I think that back then the word "cheap" had a different meaning than today.  As for the word "japanned", that's a method of applying many coats of carefully applied lacquer to  place a fine finish on the models.


Above is a collection of "working models (figures). Notice that each model had a wheel that would be attached to either a large group on spindles on a shaft or directly to the steam engine as one unit. Imagine a wealthy father who would buy a collection of models for his son or daughter (probably very rare for girls to work with these models). 

Imagine the noise of the steam engine,the pulleys,and the factory workers hammering and sawing! an


Here's another page of examples of model workers for the steam engine.

Model steam engines are still being made and produced for children and adults. I've written about some  of today's fine companies that manufacture these machines. I'm sure that today, like  other models and toys,the quality of production and the materials and ores form which they're made are of a better quality then back then. 

I'm sure however, that many of you would want to try out the 1914 model - I know I would! 


Thanks for dropping by,
and have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be.
Stacey
write to me anytime at:
toysearcher@gmail.com

3 comments:

natubarbara said...

Hello!
I am a teacher in a Secondary School in Badajoz. It was created in 1845 and between our educational heritage we have found a vertical steam machine, we believe it is G. Carette.
We vistoque own a copy of the book The Magnificent Steam Engine Systems of Georges Carette and we believe that our model can be there.
Could you tell us if it is.
How I can make you get some pictures?
Thank you very much for everything.

toysearcher said...

Hello Natubarbara,

One of my e-mail addresses is toysearcher@gmail.com

I have never seen or owned such a toy.
However, what I would like you to do is take plenty of photographs:

1. Different camera angles to show the top, sides, and bottom.
2. larger-sized files (picture sizes).
3. If you have a tripod use one, if not take the photos in brighter light.
4. If you have some white cardboard or foam core, then use that as a reflector to add light into the darker area of the toy.

What I will do is add a special post for the toy, and hope someone will be able to help us out.
I will of course, search out the toy on the Internet and see if I can find you examples of an identical toy.

Also, Barbara, could you please send me some photos of the school, and some information about it?

I like to write, and this will make an most-interesting story and presentation for my readers.

Thanks for writing, and if I don't hear from you before
Christmas, may you have a Merry Christmas, and a Healthy and Happy New Year to you,
and your family.

Stacey Bindman
Montreal,Quebec,Canada

Anonymous said...

Hello,

I'm always looking for Carette steam engines. If you know where I can find one, contact me : tim9652@hotmail.com