Thursday, November 14, 2013

Some Interesting Toys from a Fine Seller

Thursday, November 14, 2013
                 (Cloudy but warmer)


Some Interesting Toys from a Fine Seller

While on ebay I was attracted to a vintage German toy. It had the appearance of the usual limousines of the time, but it had a hood that opened up. The hood when opened, exposed 6-cylinder engine, which also had a moving radiator fan. I was hooked! I examined the photos and the seller's feedback profile, which were both excellent, and then proceeded to e-mail the store called Today's Obsession. The owner's name is Mr. Joseph Curbow, and he wrote back to say that I had his permission to post. He sells higher-priced American, German and Japanese vintage and very old (1920's) toys, that are quite interesting (I haven't seen them yet in my 2 1/2 years of writing). That doesn't mean they are rare,but they could be. 

  What I found most interesting about one way that Joseph photographs the top view of his toys, is that he angles them to the camera, rather than photograph them from a vertical camera angle.  This way is for me a "why didn't I think of that moment?". What I used to do is to take the toy off my  photo light table and photograph it vertically, or stand on a chair and elevate my tripod . When you photograph lots of toys, this can be time consuming, as well as woking harder. With the way Joseph does it, it's both effective, and does the same job of showing the roof top or the top of a toy.



Joseph had an interesting written description about this toy. The toy was made by Georg Adam Mangold, who would soon go on to found the manufacturing company GAMA. The car had been marketed by MOses KOhnstam as a MOKO toy.




I  didn't know that Wyandotte manufactured anything els,other than toys and trucks. 
Consequently, I was mildly surprised to see this railroad hand-operated car, 
and by a pair of clowns to boot!



I haven't come across many aluminum-made toys, so when you do see one, it's most likely "rarer".
The other point is that MArx made so many toys, that at one time in the 1950's he was making about 1/3 of all toys made in the USA! I could probably just write about him on a blog!


Here's another Marx car.It's a more-complex moving toy. The front wheels turn, the character head turns, and wind-up mechanism (second photo from above) is more complex.

This was certainly a fun post for myself, and I liked learning some new things. It's always great to find a new person or company to work with, as I get to meet more and more people, and of course newer discoveries.

Thanks for dropping by,
and have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be.
Stacey
toysearcher@gmail.com






No comments: