Tuesday, September 10, 2013

More New Discoveries from a Future Auction

Wednesday, September 10, 2013


More New Discoveries

   The Internet has changed how many businesses operate, and one of these is the auction business. People all over the world can now see what is for sale at most auctions, and bid either on the Internet or by telephone. You have to register, and provide information in order to be able to bid. The specific area of antique toys is no different. If you venture forth to Liveauctioneers (there are several other sites), you can see future auctions from all auctioneers up to several months in advance.  The Bertoia Auctions items that I am presenting today are from the November 8-10, 2013 auction, which is titled  "Christmas Wishes". Because it is planned for November, you will not see it yet on Liveauctionners, but can now find it on Bertoia Auctions Website . You can click on the below Bertoia's logo to redirect to their fine website.


  Bertoia Auctions is an outstanding auction house that specializes in antique toys. Like all of my other blogs, I am able to use their photographs for my blogs. I also do not get paid from anyone to write about them or their auctions, so I a write what I honestly and freely. Bertoia auctions is a family run business.

  Jeanne Bertoia is the owner of the business, started with her late husbund Bill. Jeanne is collector and dealer of antique toys, and is the President of the  Antique Toy Collectors Club of America. If you ever watch any of the many antique shows on TV, you may even seen her there discussing toys with collectors. 

  Bill Bertoia is Jeanne's brother-in-law and is the auction cataloguer and auction coordinator. I have had the pleasure of speaking with Bill when I first asked for permission to write about Bertoia and to use their fabulous database of antique toys. Like Jeanne, he's very knowledgeable about toys, and has written several books on the subject. I've even come across his book "Antique Motor Cycles" being cited when certain antique toy motorcycles are presented for sale on other websites.

Michael Bertoia is Jeanne's son and Bill's nephew. His passion for toys strted as a young child, and after graduating university with a B.A. in Business Administration, he joined Bertoia Auctions. He's the one who has used the new technologies such as software programs for the graphic design and their catalogues and advertising. He also represents Bertoia Auctions by travelling to antique shows both in the USA and Europe. I bought a Bertoia catalogue once and its well designed and of course, the written descriptions and the photographs are excellent. 


Bertoia Auctions has two of these toys for sale. This is the one in better condition, although the figures (people)are replacements. The rear passengers are quite small,so I had to look at the other listing of this toy. That's how the 2 people are in the other car!  


Compositiomn is a very important element to photography, and this is how I was attracted to this toy. Repetition of forms or shapes (circles, triangles, lines) are all important design elements to a good photograph.

The  ornate design of the gold-coloured hose reel caught my attention here. The rear fireman also caught my attention, as well as the 3 horses. In these old  fire wagons, 2,3 or 4 reams of horses can pull such wagons.


Of course, what would an auction titled  "Christmas Wishes" be without a Christmas toy!


Antique toy companies would often have name brands on a certain run of their toys. I checked by searching for Hathaway bread, and came up with some Hathaway signs on Liveauctioneers. My first search using the words "Hathaway Bakery" came with with Warren Buffet's company Berkshire Hathaway.


Once again, the design and compositional elements attracted my attention to this item. I don't know if it's a toy (the written description says so), or a model, but  it's beautiful. The contrast of the straight and curved pumping handles with the circular wheels  gets your attention. As well, the handles remind me of galloping horses or a grasshopper's legs.




The cupola at the top of the steamboat, and the anchor caught my attention for this toy. Also, this is a relatively big pull toy.


I couldn't be 100&% sure if I never wrote or presented this item. However 2 things attracted my attention to it. One is the curved S-shaped repeating line on the side of the hood cover, and the other is the one-piece nickel-plated tow at the back of the truck. Anod of course, the name "LaSalle". There are not too many toys modelled on the Lasalle,and I don't think I've ever seen a LaSalle truck.  Do me a favour, and do a search for Tootsietoy Grahams and Tootsietoy LaSalles on the Bertoia Auctions Website (under Past auctions". You will be in for a pleasant surprise!



The name "Parmalee" (never heard it before),and the actual toy (never saw it before) caught my attention here.



Just like the small-proportioned people in the first car photo caught my attention, so it is with the very large-proportioned yellow boom at the end of this wrecker. Also the open cab design (no roof) caught my attention as well. 

If you're new to looking at old and antique toys, just redirect yourself to Bertoia Auctions by clicking on the sentence under their logo. There are lots and lots of toys there for you to see. Just be sure that you don't spend too much time there, especially if you have chores to do around the house, or you're at work!


Thanks for dropping by to visit,
and have a great part of the day or night,
whereer you may be.
Stacey 
(toysearcher@gmail.com)

No comments: