Thursday, July 25, 2013

Some Restored Toys

Thursday, July 25, 2013


Some Restored Toys

   When I bought and sold old toys on E-Bay, I figured that one way to make money was to buy toys in poor condition and repair and restore them. That didn't work out as well as I thought, but it certainly was a learning experience. By the time you figure out the labour and materials, and replacement parts, your market needs to incorporate that in the final selling price.

   I did sell most of my restored toys, and sold others to clear inventory. There's one still in the house somewhere, but I can't find it! Not everyone wants to buy a "restored" toy, especially "purist" collectors. They want  their toys to be "in situ" (in place as originally found).  Their toys are missing pieces, have rust, dents, and so forth. However, there are people who don't mind restorations. I just purchased a small Hubley Airflow, and will probably keep it, after I but some (heavenforbid!) replacement parts.

  Today's post is a microcosm (small sampling) of restored toys. The toys range form minor part replacements or touch-ups to major restorations (parts and repaint) by professional restorers.  Yesterday, I wrote about Randy's Toy Store and his masterful restoration of a 1929 Buddy "L" Fire Pump Truck. That toy looks as it would have appeared straight off the assembly line in 1929. It's a true masterpiece! 








The Gunthermann "Gordon Bennet" has been partially restored with some replacement parts. 
The "scuff marks" were left. That you is very rare and in high demand. Even with the replacements, this particular toy would  achieve a high bid at the final tap of the auction gavel!


The toy house above came from the collection of the late Lillian Gottschalk and her husband Bill. 
One day, I would like to write a post about her.  Lilian was an outstanding collector, and I even have one of her books. Not only did she collect toys, but she was an authority on many antique toy subjects. I've seen the word "provenance" sometimes placed in front of a name, and I  that means the chronology or history of ownership. I've seen Lillian Gottschalk's name places often in auctions by  such renowned auctioneers as Bertoia Auctions.



Now that is a restoration.
If I won the lottery, I 'd search for my first car- a 1969 Dodge Coronet, buy one, and have this restorer restore it! I wouldn't be surprised if the restoration cost more than buying the toy! I read once where there are even restoration competitions to present the fine results of these masterful craftspeople.



The Hubley cast iron Packard above has "minor" repairs. The grill is a replacement, and the inside disc wheel centres have been carefully repainted.






For the above photo, I did some "dodging" in Photoshop. What that does is lighten up some parts of the toy. Although I seldom alter a toy's actual image, in this case, I'm sure the Bertoias won't mind. 
I couldn't resist "showing off" such a beautiful car and an exceptional restoration - even if it's not my toy! Now this is a toy to finish off any post - it just leaves you with such a euphoric feeling!

Thanks for dropping by,

and as always,
have a great part of the day or night
wherever you may be.

Stacey
(toysearcher@gmail.com)


No comments: