Thursday, March 13, 2014

Where does Ron Michaud Find These Great Toys?

Thursday, March 13, 2014
        Sunny, clearing, and cool 
           More snow tomorrow!


Where Does Ron Michaud 
Discover These Great Toys?

    I've written several times now about Mr. Ron Michaud, a fine ebay seller from Maine. I had to look up what a person from Maine is called, and they're called Mainers. I'm always learning something. I've presented a few of his beautiful toys, and am again posting today. I asked Ron if I could highlight some of his photos to focus on certain features, and he gave me his permission. I've been to Maine a few times, but only to Ogunquit, where you eat fantastic lobsters and go into the ocean. The ocean there has got to be the coldest ever, even in the summer. When I came out (only knee deep), I could swear that everything below my knee was white, and everything above the knees was pink! The good news is that it's too cold even for sharks!

   Ron has several fine very old toys currently for sale on ebay, and I wanted to present them sooner, but I had some kind of sinus or head cold, and wasn't feeling great. I'm getting better.




Steelcraft Crane Truck Custom Restoration by Watson's Garage. 
Crank operated pulley hoist with several block and tackle pulley's including a couple of hook and chains for those heavy jobs. Unique and a beautiful creation by Watson's Garage marked by a side round brass tag indicating that this is #008 also indicated underneath of the cab section (see pictures). Unfortunately I don't have any information on Watson's Garage or if this is the 8th different custom creation of theirs, or if this is the 8th of the same truck produced by them. The front wheels steer and the GMC letters are notacible at the top front of the radiator. A set of weights sit on the right side but the left side set of weights has gone missing some time ago. There are very few paint chips on some sections of the boom and one on the front right fender, otherwise it is near perfect. At 25" long this is definitely a unique truck perfect for any pressed steel construction collection.*

* description taken from Ron's description on ebay.

 Like Ron,  I tried to find out about Watson's Garage, the person who created this "special" and customized" truck.However, I couldn't find any information. If someone know's about  Watson;s Garage, buy all means please send me an e-mail and I'll share the information with everyone. 






Buddy L 206A Tank Line With 4 Buddy L Cans. 
This nice truck was restored some time ago and shows some paint flaking by the front strap of the tank. Both straps are solid and secure. The rear spigot is rock solid but at a slight angle. Picture #10 also shows some paint lost on the very end left side of the tank shelf as well as a dent. As with most Buddy L of this type the front wheels steer as the steering wheel turns. All 4 cans seem to be original. Overall this is a great truck for its' age and nearly impossible to find in original perfect condition. From front to rear spigot truck measures approximately 25".*

* description taken from Ron's description on ebay.


As you can see with this fine toy, I was better able to highlight the features, than in the previous nice Steelcraft Crane Truck. It's easier to create the highlight when the tones or colours are different from each other.


I was born too late to actually see these trucks, although there were houses and triplexes in Montreal (Quebec, canada) that did have oil heaters, and used oil or kerosene. When we moved to Outremont in 1956 or 1958,  our triplex had just changed over from coal to oil. The heating was via hot water with radiators. I actually remember going into the furnace room and picking up a few coal chunks. 





I like the way Ron organizes (in photographic terms that would be called "styling") his photo compositions. My creating that highlighting effect works exceptionally well here. 


Buddy L Hook & Ladder Fire Truck. 
Appears to have never been painted but not sure. Splattered paint from someone's project is evident on the right side. Exterior decals still good with the cab floorboard decal being the older round Buddy L type that seems to be original. Two ladders, hook boom, hose reel, and rear anchor pulley are all intact. I also have pictures showing an old round decal underneath that reads 'Wyoming Red Edge mfd by the Wyoming shove works, Wyoming, PA.' It is quite old and is flaking off as an old decal would. I don't know if there is any significance to it or not. The front rod that spans between both extended frame is bent inwards in a loop. At approximately 25" long, this piece of vintage fire fighting equipment still has much to offer.

* description taken from Ron's description on ebay.

I did a fast search, but couldn't find similar trucks like this, but I 'll look some more. Thus one still has the dust on it!



Once again, I like how Ron has styled this photo. The high camera angle, in combination with the ladders to the side makes for a great photo.

There certainly are lots of features on this  early Buddy 'L' Truck.


I only selected just a few photos from all 3 items. If you venture to ebay, you'll see many more detailed photos of today's 3 fine toys. In the above photo, I like that small brass bell that I'm sure rang out many times when children played with it so many years ago.

Thanks for dropping by,
and as always, 
have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be.
Stacey
Please feel free to write to me anytime at:
toysearcher@gmail.com







No comments: