Tuesday, March 18, 2014

Fleischmann Model Trains

Tuesday, March 18, 2014
                  Sunny and Cold


Fleischmann Model Trains

   Yesterday, I wrote a post about Fleischmann boats. The company made beautiful boats from 1910-1950. I know this because I wrote to the Fleischmann company to ask 2 questions. Did they make theses boats, and might I write about their  model train company. I got yes to both questions. I wanted to write today's post about Fleischmann, but I didn't realize that this certainly isn't easy, and it's impossible to write 1 post! For sure, I'll be returning to write more. As it turns out, Fleischmann is a very famous and world renowned manufacture of medal trains in the N and HO scales. N scale is smaller than HO scale. N scale is 1:160, while HO scale is 1:87. This size is more popular than N, but both have lots of followers. The reason is that with the smaller sizes, you can use a smaller space in your house and add much more. Just to explain, the scales 1:160 and 1:87 simply mean that the sizes of the models are 1/160th and 1/87th the size of the "real" trains.



I finally find a nice Fleischmann photo that I could present that would give  everyone an idea as to how big or small an HO train is. I found this nice photo in their catalogue, and was surprised that the actual engine is larger than I thought it is. 


   When you visit the Fleischmann website,  you will find that it has been very well thought out. It's well organized, has lots of information, and the photography is fantastic. All I had to do to the photos is shrink them to a smaller size, add their logo, the information of each photo, and a copyright notice. For Fleischmann to take photos of small objects, they needed to select excellent models, so I would think that they're selling models have to be excellent as well. Then of course there is dust, and the camera will pick up everything. The work just to do this must be quote hard!

The photos that I have uploaded today are very large. So please go into Blogger's slide view mode in order to see the fine detail and exceptional photography that Fleischmann has presented to their viewers. If you see the length of the turning bridge below, that will give you an idea as to the scale of the HO gauge.





 The company manufacturers trains and cars  based on different  epochs (time spans). I'm providing the timespans from an other web source, and when I have more time, I will check the Fleischmann website to see if their times coincide with the ones that I have listed below.

Era I:  Approximately 1970-1920 
Era II:  Approximately 1920-1945
Era III: Approximately 1945-1970
Era IV: Approximately 1968-1985
Era V: 1985-2000 and later










I'm sure most of you will certainly know that this is a new epoch (era) train. By the way, A young canadian teenager invented the system of the cranes, and containers way back in the early 1960's. I remember reading about him at that time.


I like that wine tank wagon (car) above. 
 Here's an interesting engine. It's a model of a real engine that pulls coal cars. The real one must certainly have to be washed daily!

The details on these small-scale trains are fantastic. I would think that model hobbyists have to place their heads close to the platforms where the trains are in order to get a larger view and appearance of these items. 

This certainly is an exceptional and unique set. For sure, you will need to view this particular set and the others in the slide mode. This image is not big enough to see  all of that fine detail.

I haven't even "scratched the surface" while introducing you to the Fleischmann company. AS you would expect from a leading manufacture in its' field, they are constantly introducing new items and technology to keep up with modern times. Two of these are expensive interior lighting for many of their cars, especially the passenger cars. Another great innovation is an actual hand control, which I'll have to research more for the next post. I won't say more, because I don't want to spoil the next post. However, you are always welcome to get ahead of me, by visiting the website of todays' post company - Fleischmann


No comments: