Wednesday, December 18, 2013

The Master Pocher Modelbuilder

Thursday, November 28, 2013


The Master Pocher 
Modelbuilder

   This entire week has been great in terms of writing. All the people whom I e-mailed earlier had replied and allowed me to write about them  and of course use their photos.  My birthday is tomorrow, and I used to joke with my wife (but I really meant it), that it was "Birthday Month", and every day of the month she'd have to give me a present. That never worked, and I tried "Birthday Week". That didn't work either. However for writing blogs, my "wishes" did come true for this week.

   And so it was with yesterday's featured guest Mr.  Peter Doney who told me about today's guest Mr. Paul Koo.  I had seen Paul's DVDs for sale on ebay  but never ventured beyond the initial page view. Had I scrolled down a bit, I would have been awestruck, and would have written him a year ago! When Peter told me about Paul Koo, I checked his  ebay  page, scrolled down this time and was in seventh heaven! Here were great photos of assembled parts of these Pocher cars that you couldn't tell were from a model. Moreover,when Paul sent me a dozen of his finished model photos, I couldn't tell with almost all of them that I was looking at models and not real-sized vintage cars!


  I find it unbelievable that 45 years after Pocher closed their business these models have undergone a resurrection or rebirth. But my wonder is the fact that they are so great to look at after they're finished. These fine models also remind me of the model nuclear submarine that was released in the 1960's and the US government was taken aback because the model was so detailed as to be a danger from Cold War "enemies" buying a model. 

  What's also great about these models is the fact that you get to see the model all over from the inside and out. There is so much detail that you get to see.What's nice here is the fact that you can see how the car was made. I know that when I used to go to car shows, all you would ever see is the outside of the car. Nowadays, being older (soon to be 65), I can go into a showroom and open the hood and trunk and sit in the car. Of course, I don't go into the Masserati, Ferrari, Bentley, Rolls-Royce,   well you get the rest!  However the Lexus dealer near me is starting to wonder!

   I also have to tell you  a great discovery. Paul sells DCD's that help you build these models.  He's built many, and has learned the foibles and minor design flaws in these kits. You have to remember that the company closed 45 years ago. He has photos of his "experiences" with tightening screws too tight, or screw hold too small, or parts that just don't fit properly. And considering how much these kits cost, with 2000-3000 parts to them, and the time that it will take you to build the model, his DVD is probably the best investment of all!  I already mentioned in 1 of my posts that I never followed instructions when I build inexpensive airplane models in the 1950's. I'd put the 2 halves of a ship's hull together, only to realize later that I forgot to add the propeller and driveshaft. I'd then have to crowbar the 2 pieces,have the plastic melt form taking it apart, and you know the rest!





I didn't add any titles to the photo,since the photos illustrate the model parts.
The series of photos below are from the DVD above - an Alfa Romeo. Of course, I couldn't resist, removing several model parts from their green background and placing them against white.





A great photograph showing an Alfa-Romeo model engine assembled

A Photo with masking tape. Paul narrates how to assemble these wire wheels.


Below are 3 nice photos of a Rolls Royce K72 Model Kit
If anyone reading this finds my identification below incorrect, please feel free to correct me:




Manual Transmission


Brakes with Brake Drum

Brake Drum Assembly attached to the Frame












Just fantastic - enough said!

Thanks for dropping by,
and have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be,
Stacey
toysearcher@gmail.com













No comments: