Saturday, December 7, 2013

ADO Toys of CODA Museum- The Amazing Dutch Story Continued

Saturday, December 7, 2013


ADO Toys of CODA Museum
(The Amazing Dutch Story Continued)

  Yesterday, I wrote about  a great discovery. I'd like you to visit yesterday's post, rather than rewrite so  that it's more interesting and fascinating. However, that post was the stepping stone to today's post. CODA Museum is an acronym for an extraordinary museum, as is ADO for the toys. For those who don't know, the word acronym is simply letters used to represent something. An example would be 'asap" representing "as soon as possible". 

   ADO toys were designed by a Dutch designer by the name of  Ko Verzuu. The toys were made of wood, metal, and rubber and assembled in a sanatorium. The idea was for recuperating patients with various lung diseases and problems to be able to reintegrate into society by working, and thus they assembled toys. 

   When I discovered ADO, I sent out a few requests,  and Mr. Etienne Feijns wrote back first.  I published his post first, and waited to hear from  CODA Museum. I did, a few hours later. Adriaan Renkema, the Webredactuer and and part of the PR (Public Relations) replied, and helped me out . I was sent 3 high-quality logos that I use as watermarks over every photo. As well, Adriaan informed me where I could find very large resolution photos, which I did.  I would highly recommend that you go to the link that I'll add at the bottom off the page. As well, this is one of the best photography that I have seen in my writings to date.

CODA Museum is located in Apeldoorn, The Netherlands. CODA is a museum  dedicted to  presenting the fine art of artists, and not solely toys. When you visit the site, you will see many different areas of art that is represented, as well as a schedule of future exhibitions.  


"CODA Museum presented the special collection of ADO toys (October  2012 - March 2013)  it was able to acquire in 2009 with the financial support of the Mondriaan Fonds, SNS REAAL Fonds and the Vereniging Museumvrienden van CODA. 

To design enthusiasts, toy collectors and inhabitants of Apeldoorn, the name ADO brings to mind the special collection of wooden toys that was designed by Ko Verzuu between 1925 and 1955. This collection is not only inextricably bound up with local history but also closely linked to innovations in art, health care and pedagogy in the first half of the 20th century. 


Occupational therapy for tuberculosis patients



In 1920, the sanatorium Berg en Bosch was founded in the sanctuary on the outskirts of Apeldoorn. This sanatorium offered rest and care to tuberculosis patients.
Once patients had recovered from their illness, returning to regular working life often proved to be difficult. In order to prepare patients better for their reintegration, the sanatorium developed a modern treatment: occupational therapy.
One of the ways this took shape was in the production of wooden toys. These toys were given the name ADO; an abbreviation that initially stood for Arbeid door Onvolwaardigen (Labour by the Deficient), but was wisely changed to Apart Doelmatig Onverwoestbaar (Special Functional Indestructible) in 1962.
Clear shapes, fresh colours and strong design
The colourful ADO toys were designed by Ko Verzuu (1901-1971), director of the ADO workshops. Verzuu’s designs for the many cars, trains, boxes of building blocks, doll’s house furniture, and games were inspired by the great artists of his time, such as Gerrit Rietveld (1888-1964) and Piet Mondriaan (1872-1944).
The combination of austere forms and a palette of bright primary colours explains the attraction these toys still hold. The pedagogical ideas of educational innovators Maria Montessori and Friedrich Fröbel were another source of inspiration for Verzuu."


     



















   
 If I ever return to Holland, I will most certainly visit CODA Museum located in Apeldoorn, The Netherlands.  One of my childhood  desires was to be able to draw. I never did draw, and always told myself that I should take a course.

However, I did become a professional photographer, and thus tried to capture what I felt and saw through the camera.

Today's post was most enjoyable for me, as all of the elements for the post came well into play. Great photography, great toys, and of course a special story
about people.

What more could I ask for?

If you're wondering why the composition of the post is on the left, it's because of the copy and paste of the narrative that I copied from  CODA web page. Sometimes  that happens. Of course, with the story and photographs, I hope you will not be distracted.

Thanks for dropping by,
and have a great part of the day or night,wherever you may be.
Stacey
toysearcher@gmail.com



No comments: