Wednesday, January 14, 2015

A Quartet of Gunthermann Busses

Wednesday, January 14, 2015
Overcast and very cold


A Quartet of Early
Gunthermann Busses

 I finished off yesterday's post with a Gunthermann roll-top (canvas) top bus. I couldn't find any other listing or even a photo on Liveauctioneers, ebay, or the Internet. Naturally, I decided to search for Gunthermann busses, and found 4 very nice ones.


I like the large-sized spring underneath the body of the bus. It was a simple method for
 storing up reserve energy until the child released the toy. The tighter the coiled spring, 
the more energy stored, and the faster and longer the toy would move.


I always wonder how certain delicate features on an antique toy can still survive. 
The toy below is 105 years old, and still has its glass windows!

I wonder if the actual "real" bus of the time had a similar number 
( a giant semi-circular spring) that you can see on the front of the toy bus (below).
This toy is only 85 years old, and it too also has delicate glass windows!



The last toy above is   the largest one of all, measuring 19 1/2" or .495 M.
It's certainly a fine collectible, but I prefer the more ornate and  decorated first 2 busses.

As for car, bus, or walking, I will be doing as little as possible today. 
It's a cool  -18 Celcius (O Fahrenheit). It's a day for staying inside!

Thanks for dropping by and as always
have a great part of the day or night,
wherever you may be
Stacey 
toysearcher@gmail.com

No comments: